Chapter 5

Money

         "It is not the creation of wealth that is wrong, but the love
      Of money for its own sake."  - Margaret Thatcher

   Its been two weeks sense I made that deal with Eli. I been making tons of money by completing the assignments that he has been giving me. I don't mind anymore because everytime I get cash all thoughts of feeling bad about what ive done goes away. The only thing I would never do is kill a child, that's when I cross the line. You would think by now that I am a heartless person but im not. I just simply do things that helps me make money. I don't just kill people I sell and buy drugs also. I guess you can say Eli is preparing me for the big leagues.

I know the old me would have freaked out if I pulled a trigger on a gun. Or even see a dead body on the ground. If you keep doing the same thing all the time you start to get use to it. Ill have to say the only thing im not use to and never will be is the smell. I'm not talking about the smell of death im talking about the smell of blood. I don't  know something about it just puts me on edge. Maybe im just a weird person like that who knows.

I headed to Eli's office I was told that I had another task to do. As I was walking down the hall I bumped into a male that I didn't reconize. I looked up at him and began looking at his features. "Sorry!" I managed to get out. He licked his lips, "you good ma." I watched him walk off still mesmerized by his good looks. He was about 6 ft tall and had a carmel skin tone. His hair was a low cut box with a fade in it. He had the most beautiful blue eyes that I had ever seen. I quickly came to my senses and continued to walk to Eli's office.

I knocked on his door waiting for an answer, but instead heard a man screaming in pain. With curiosity taking over I opened the door before getting permission to come in. I saw a man tied to a chair facing Eli and a couple of other men, well Eli's other partners. All attention went to me since I just busted through the door out of now where. A smile appeared on Eli's face, "its nice of you to join us Ziara." I didn't feel welcomed instead I regret coming in. I looked at the guy who was in the chair and his face was bruised and eyes were swollen. I started to think what has he done to be tortured.

It seems like Eli read my mind because he began to talk about why he was here. "You see Ziara this men right here owes me tons of money." The guy busted up tried to explain himself but Eli cut him off by hitting him in the face. "I don't want to hear it Felix!" I was a little startled but no one seemed to notice. I tried to ignore the guy sitting in the chair and change the subject. "Eli I was told you had another assignment for me." He nodded his head and pulled out a knife. "I want you to kill Felix with this." He handed me the knife and I stared at it as it laid in my hand.

"I have my other partners here to see your work so we know we can officially add you in the business." Eli said so simple like he didn't just ask me to take another persons life. I nodded my head in agreement and looked down at Felix. In his eyes he was pleading for mercy, but I knew I would probably be killed if I didn't kill him. I was about to slit his throat but something was preventing me from doing so. I had never really felt anything before killing a person until now. Soon a question popped in my mind. Is it really worth taking another persons life for money? Again that word that object, money.

That very thing that got me here in the first place. All because I was so greedy and wanted something that has destroyed many. "What are you waiting for?" Eli asked. What was I waiting for? I couldn't stop now I already accepted to the deal. I took the the knife and as simple and clean it went across Felix's throat. Blood soon came gushing out, he tried to use his hands to hold his throat but he was stopped by the ropes holding his arms from moving. Then after about 2 minutes he was motionless and death took over his body. The room was filled with clapping from Eli and his other partner's. "Well done Ziara for a minute I thought you weren't going to do it." Eli stated.

I didn't know why they were clapping infact it had pissed me off, but I knew better then to show it. Eli didn't suspect it either instead he said "take a seat Ziara so we can discuss business." I did as he said and sat down in one of his chairs in front of his desk like I normally do. I saw Eli press a button on his intercome, "Harold come clean up this mess that's in my office." I heard a yes boss before Eli started talking to me again. "Ziara we wanted Felix dead why?" I knew the answer he was looking for. "Because he owed you money." I said.

"Exactly, now one of the main important things in this world is money, am I correct?" I didn't know what to say was money really that important? "Yeah I guess." I said. He shook his head like he wasn't satisfied with my answer. "Its as simple as this without money we cant buy food and without food we'll die." I know what he was coming from but still something in me was telling me that what we were doing was to much just to have cash. Just to satisfy Eli I agreed to everything he said so I can be on his good side. "Yes I see without money we couldn't survive." He finally shook his head in approval.  "Right exactly the point and that's one of the main reasons why I want to have a partnership with you because you learn quick."

After about 2 hours of him and his partners talking to me about the main rules that I had to follow, and how to do things I was free to go. Strangely something was nagging at me but I couldn't lay my finger on it. It was when I got back to my room and I was watching Tv that I figured out that Felix was the thing bothering me. I have killed a decent amount of people already. Why is it just now getting to me? Then his face had appeared in my mind and when I saw those begging eyes I knew that was what had got me thinking. What if that was me in that situation? I had to shake those thoughts out my mind before they got any further. In about an hour later I went to sleep.

Ziara's Dream

I didn't know where I was, I couldn't even see where I was because it was pitch black. I tried moving but something was holding me back. All of a sudden a bright light turned on and it was people surrounding me. I waited for my vision to come back since it was still adjusting to the now lit room. When it did I saw Eli and his men surrounding me. Eli looked mad and so did the men. I didn't know what was going on until Felix stepped into view. He was smiling at me but it wasnt a nice one. Eli gave him a knife and that's when it came to me what he was going to do. Felix walked towards me with the knife. "Please don't kill me please!" I begged. Felix laughed and said, "it doesn't feel good to be on the other end of the knife now does it?" I cried but soon it was cut off by Felix slitting my throat.

I woke up rising in my bed drenched in sweat and tears. I was in shock still feeling the pain that the knife had left when Felix cut it. It wasn't until 5 minutes passed that I realized that I only had a sore throat. I rubbed my throat, it was really sore. I got out of bed and went into the bathroom. I turned on the light looking at myself in the mirror. And I asked myself, do I really want to keep living this life style?

First I will like to say HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!!. Secondly thank you everyone for the comments and votes so far. I been working really hard and I feel I put my best into this story. Also don't forget to vote and comment. Im not updating until I get at least 6 comments by the way.