Epilogue

~Scarlet~

A winter's wedding. A dream come true.

I'd lived in misery for years and I was drowning in happiness now. We were incomplete on our own. But together... our hearts beat in sync, our hands shared the warmth, our eyes reflected nothing but the other.

The beginning of our fairytale after the end of the nightmare, it was mere hours after we rediscovered each other and we could have this now.

Falling in love one step at a time and with each step that I breathed slowly to compose that racing heart of mine, to go on unstumbling through the crunching snow, each second I loved him more, I needed him more.

I needed to run and fall right where he was waiting.

Ahead.

Stopping at the threshold of the edifice, taking it all in, it looked like a castle built of ice and snowflakes - glimmering in the moonlight, crystally transparent to let the beauty of the woods in as it reached with its arch toward the sky.

Gentle white feathers dancing on their way down.

I counted the seconds walking below the archway. I wondered how they knew this would happen to build something so beautiful for the two of us.

They must have known. Someone must have warned them that they had to do this so we have this special day.

I stepped inside.

The pack held breath. I couldn't breathe at all.

Oracle turned her head to look at me, an eye surrounded by wrinkled skin winking at me while her smile spilled bright on her old face.

The snowflakes melted on my uncovered shoulders, making me shiver and glimmer in the night like I was one of the many crystals of water, yet, I felt warm, so warm I could melt from that heat inside of me.

He was waiting dressed in a white tux in front of the altar.

The wolves were seated on the white pews decorated with red roses on both sides of the snowy path and for a moment I felt out of place in my wedding gown. Two hours ago I didn't even know I had one prepared for me. Three years ago I would have never even dared to dream of today, but today - tonight - it was all there was for us and then the life by his side, talking to him, leaning on him, placing my hand in his, trusting in his love.

I needed to walk this path with him and it was not the bond this time. The bond was nothing to what was there between us now. Love. Unhindered.

One step closer, then another.

It felt like I'd waited for this for all my life when I saw his smiling face looking at me, his eyes that saw nothing but the vision of me.

I was going to be brave and embrace the future he offered me... this man.

Stopping next to him at the altar, I looked down at the hand he held out for me to take and placed my own in his.

No sparks but his sprinting heartbeat met my touch and once more I wondered if they were going to return when he placed his mark on me again? Were we going to be truly mated or was the Moon's grace lost to us forever? Did we need more than love to be together?

It felt so right to just hold his hand and dive into the green of his eyes. I was ready to fall and he was willing to take me.

"Regan Conrad Greene, do you take Scarlet..." The words came and went, deafened by my heart that thumped wild inside my chest. His hand wrapped around mine trembled, tears making the light of the thousands of candles reflect in his eyes.