(27) Tongues Of Fire |Scarlet's POV|

I didn't know how Regan arranged our stay here, but I suspected it didn't come as a request

I didn't know how Regan arranged our stay here, but I suspected it didn't come as a request. The pack had grown a lot - from nearly two hundred wolves left after the wildlings' attack, now it amounted to more than two thousand, more if I counted alpha August's pack.

Both alphas and several high ranked wolves were allowed into the house while the rest were camping in alpha Luther's territory or staying in the houses of his pack members.

It was a very tight fit.

Stepping out, I nearly lost my breath from the sudden rush of fire through my limbs and had to tighten my grip on his elbow to stay upright. Something low in my belly clenched, pain radiating in waves through the rest of my body. I felt light-headed as heat crawled up my skin.

Regan halted on the stoop and glanced at me with concern. "You alright, Scarlet?"

"Yes, just short of breath," I lied.

He nodded, giving me a displeased look. Of course, he didn't believe me. "Stay here until I take care of the situation," he said.

The situation was a few feet ahead. A large group of wolves had formed a circle around two men - Jason and Clay, Luther's third, and both looked extremely pissed off as they glared at each other, snarls on the tip of the tongue as the wolves were about to be released from their human confinement.

I didn't know what this fight was about or who started it, but I could predict that Luther wasn't going to be very happy about it.

He was a middle-aged Asian man who praised himself on his philosophy of peace both in his life and leadership and, considering his strong inclination to keep things from blowing out of scale, I could only anticipate his reaction once the word of it reached him.

Another wave of fire burst and spread through my body as I watched Regan wade through the thick crowd of wolves gathered to watch the unexpected show of dominance and strength. My knees wobbled and I rested my back against the door frame behind me to keep my balance, as fragile as it was lately.

It had started a week after I woke up and I still had no idea what was happening to me. I should have been back to normal as soon as the last broken rib healed but this clearly wasn't the case.

"Son of a bitch!" I recognized Jason's yell and my attention drifted back to the cluster of wolves only to see Regan's beta throw a fist at the other high-ranked wolf. His knuckles connected then bounced firmly of the man's jaw.

Clay's arm flew up in response, his fist aiming for Jason's jaw.

A few cheers reached my ear from the crowd going wild with the real fight about to begin. From what I'd seen of Luther's pack so far I'd been convinced they were laid-back and peaceful people. Now, however, they all looked like wild animals. Nature was nature, I guess.

Regan steered his way into the circle of open space where the two opponents stood in nothing but a pair of shorts each. Their bodies looked rigid with tension, muscles twisting and flexing on their chests and abdomens. Powerful.