(40) Why Choose Them |Scarlet's POV|

You can exist without a soul. You can meet the daybreak without the quiet words and the blinding smiles he gives you. These light touches every time he gets closer to you, you can live without... some kind of a life.

An existence of nothing.

I felt like I could fly. I felt like I could reach up and touch the sky just because he gave me what I never knew I needed. A life. A hope. A future.

Leaning closer to me, watching me place another spoonful into my mouth, his gaze warm on my skin, it felt like we were in our own cloud after the time we'd spent in each other's embrace. It was our own world now that we had come to peace with each other and what could be.

He was talking, speaking about himself, telling me stories of his childhood and the years after, that time he spent without me, these empty of meaning years. It was what he said it was. Meaningless because I was his meaning and purpose.

And looking at him, glancing sidewise to where he sat by my side with his warmth and quiet words of past sorrows and heartbreak I believed him and I loved him more and more with every breath he took close to me, with every beat of his faithful heart.

That man I never even considered a person for a long time, that man I'd thought was nothing but a monster, he was the one I loved now, the other half of my soul, the only person who was closer to me than any other in my whole life. Substantial.

And there it was, that word I could almost see floating in the air between us—us. A meaningful word. Two letters that combined meant so much in my heart I felt it swell with that promise only he could give me, the promise of our future.

It was then, in that moment of ultimate bliss, that I could feel it, that fear, an emotion both inside the bond and in my own heart—our fear that now when we'd finally found our happiness we could lose it too. It was the worst feeling I'd ever felt in my life and it could only co-appear with the best feeling I'd ever felt—to have him by my side with nothing holding us apart.

"It's going to be alright," I said, dropping the spoon into the cup with cereal. My hand came to meet his in a caress of touch. Sliding over his skin, giving him the comfort both of us needed by just feeling the other skin on skin. The sparks flew unstoppable, dependable. I shivered. He trembled in response.

"We're going to have all the time in the world once that war is over and won," I continued, eyes never leaving his in another intimate moment we shared.

"No." He shook his head. "We won't."

I frowned at him. "We won't?"

"No," he said, a grin splitting his face. "Because not even an eternity is going to be enough for me."

I didn't know what to say to him just then. Did I tell him I loved him now or was it going to be too soon? Did I trust myself enough to believe it was me this time and not the bond that made me feel? Or did I pretend I didn't understand what he was telling me until I was sure, until I was ready to say it?