Chapter Twenty-Five

Start bij het begin

     Benny stiffening under her grasp and Malachi chuckled. Benny patted her on the back. "We don't want to make Malachi jealous."

    "Please, She said BB2." Malachi waved him off. "I'm Big Brother #1, okay." Malachi walked in the living room that was designed with chocolate furniture and more family pictures. Malachi turned the volume down as Duffy Duck tried to talk his way out of a situation. "Where's Keren?"

     The eight-year-old fell back on the couch, "Soccer practice."

      "Oh." Malachi's smile faded a little. "She's still doing that."

      "Yep," Bianca muttered while most of her attention was focused on the TV.

   "Malachi! Is that you?" A woman's voice called from the kitchen.

    "Yeah!" Malachi yelled back. He trekked through the living room, dining room, and entered the kitchen. Benny followed behind him. "Mama!" Malachi swung his arms out.

    The cocoa-toned woman with a loose bun of black hair had an apron tied around her business slacks and flirty blouse. "My big baby." She said before pecking him on both cheeks.

    "Mom stop. I'm grown." Malachi wiped the imprint of his mother's love.

     Benny studied his feet. He remembered a time when he was on the receiving end of a mother's love but that was years ago.

     "Benjamin, how are you?" She asked before wrapping him in a hug.

     Benny warmed from her embrace. It wasn't like his mother but she was someone's mother. "I'm all good Mrs. Johnson."

         "Mrs. Johnson." She stepped back running her hands down her apron. "I already told you, call me Simone."

      "Yeah dude, call her Simone," Malachi said lifting the lid off a big black pot. "Are these mustards or collards?" He stirred the simmering vegetable with the wooden spoon.

       "Collards." Simone slapped him in the back and pried the lid out of his hand. "You're Aunt Irene loves mustards, remember."

      Malachi shook his head as he stole a piece of square-cut cornbread off a platter. He offered Benny a piece as he took a seat at the bar. Benny shook his head.

      Simone shook a little salt in the smothered steak then turned back to them. She clasped her hands and took a breath before speaking. "I want to give you guys a heads up.... before." She stroked her collarbone. "The Lemen's will be at the funeral.

      "Which ones?" Benny asked. His family was big; there were a lot of them.

      "How do you know?" Malachi questioned as sprinkles of cornbread flew from his mouth.

      "Nicole," Simone stated.

      "Aunt Nicole?" Benny said perplexed. He didn't know Simone and his aunt were friends.

       "Yes, Aunt Nicole." She reiterated. "You're Uncle Roan and his family will be there."

       "If they stay away from me, I'm good." Malachi stuffed the last piece of cornbread in his mouth before standing up.

      "I'm fine," Benny told with a shrug of one shoulder. He slid off the stool, "I'm going to take a shower before dinner."

        That was a lie and Benny had to get out of that kitchen before Simone and her mother's intuition picked it up. He was not fine with seeing any member of his family. He didn't know how he would react. He ran down two outcomes as he walked down the hallway to his room, which used to be the guest room until he came around. He swung open the door and a letter cascaded to the ground. Benny retrieved it before closing and locking the bedroom door. He flicked on the light and dropped his duffle in the chair in the corner. He peeled open the letter as he sat on the bed kicking off his shoes. Benny unfolded the letter as he lied back on the bed. He read it loud enough for only his ears to hear.

You can keep your love, hope, and compassion

We rather have turmoil, anguish, and trepidation

Making you pay for being blessed with what we cannot bear.

You have been summoned

Find the old church in Poe woods

Be there at Midnight

        "A Psychopath." Benny let the paper slip from his hand and fall to his chest. "Fulton missed one."

It seems like Benny knows more about Fulton than he let Isabeth believe. What else is he hiding?

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.