Chapter 12 - Soothing Syrup

Start from the beginning

"Are you really that stupid? There's two of us, and one of you. Even with a knife, you would still be overpowered by us. Why not drop the knife and tell us what we want to know?"

"Like hell I would do that." Before anything else was said, he had flung the knife straight at the woman, embedding it into her arm, and then began to run off. The woman had let out a scream of pain and fell to the ground clutching her arm.

"Damn him." Jacob said as he looked between the woman and the merchant.

"You go after him, I'll look after her." I said as I ran over towards the woman. I heard another set of footsteps run off and knew that Jacob was chasing the merchant down. Knowing that he had it under control, I said to the woman,

"I'm going to take the knife out, but it's going to hurt."

"Please, just do it. This pain is unbearable." I gave her a small, but reassuring smile and placed my hand on the knife. Before she could say anything, I ripped it out. Then, I ripped a piece of my robe and tied it around her arm, wrapping it tightly so that she won't lose anymore blood. "Thank you."

"You're welcome. And, I'm sorry this happened to you. That man will pay for what he has done to you, and to anyone else that he has sold that Soothing Syrup to." I replied.

"It's nice to see that there are still some good people left in the world. Please, stop this before it's too late."

"Don't worry, my partner and I plan to stop this as soon as possible and free the people of London from such tyranny and slavery. We will stop at nothing until we accomplish our goal, no matter the price we pay."

"You and your partner certainly sound like the type of people we need. I gotta say though, you've certainly chosen wisely, he is indeed rather handsome, and seems to be quite a man as well." I understood exactly what she was implying, to which I rapidly shook my head and said,

"Oh, no we're not r-romantically involved. I-it's nothing like that, I-I mean I've only met him not long ago, a-and we're just w-working together to achieve the same goal." My cheeks felt as if they were on fire as I stuttered. I couldn't help but look to the ground as I felt embarrassed.

"Then why are you embarrassed dear? Surely you wouldn't be if nothing was going on." I could hear the slight teasing in her voice and all I could do was keep quiet, not trusting the sound of my voice. After a few moments, she spoke up and said, "Well, you ought to catch up with your partner. Surely by now he would have caught that merchant." Her words brought me back to reality.

"Right, I'll be leaving now." I said. However, just before I left, the woman spoke up once more.

"Thank you again for helping me. Oh, and I wish you luck with your partner, who knows what could happen between the both of you." Before I could respond to her words, she left. Embarrassed by her words, I simply shook my head and ran off into the same direction that Jacob took while he chased the merchant.

Mini time skip

After a few minutes of running, I managed to find Jacob, who had the merchant cornered.

"That didn't take long." I said as I approached them.

"Of course it didn't." Jacob said before turning towards the man. "Now then, tell us where the syrup originates."

"All I know is that they make a run each day." The man says.

"And to where are these runs made?" I said.

"Between the gasometers and the Asylum. You'll have to find the distributor."

"Thank you, you can leave now." Jacob said as he released the man.