Her Last Wish - Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve
Sean

"Is everything sorted for North's birthday?" I ask Owen as we sit together in our unfinished house, that hopefully soon we can all live in. In two weeks, we have workers coming in to start the rest of the painting as we're struggling to find the time to do so. I'm always at the hospital these days, and the others are always busy with assignments. "You have added an extra guest to our bookings, yes?"

Owen looks over at me, his coffee mug halfway to his mouth. "Why would I do that?"

I fight my smile when I feel it tugging at the corners of my mouth. He doesn't know? "Oh, Miss Sang was invited and accepted the invitation." I heard that it took some convincing from Luke and Silas.

"And why am I only hearing about this now?"

I lose the battle and my lips stretch wide. "I thought you were aware," is all I can think of to say. Honestly, it's not surprising he wasn't aware yet. I had a feeling that others were just going to spring it on him tomorrow morning.

My phone rings, pulling me away Owen's narrowed eye glare. Gabriel's name flashes up on the screen. "Hello and Good morning."

"Morning, Doc. Have you seen or heard from Sang?" He asks immediately, making my spine straighten.

"Is she not at your place, tucked away in a bed, sleeping?" I ask, keeping my voice light, picturing a sleeping Sang in my own bed instead of one of theirs.

"Nope," he pops the P. "She left about five fifteen this morning, Victor says. He's just checked the cameras. I thought maybe she would be with one of us but Kota, Nathan and Victor haven't seen her either." He pauses, listening to something one of the others are saying. "North says she might have gone to the hospital so we're gonna head there and check."

I feel the colour drain from my face as I remember the phone call I got from Dr Roberts through the night. "Her left lung collapsed. She has to be on oxygen to help her breathe. It's time for us to tell Sang, despite what Rose says."

I didn't know what to say, but my heart did break for the blonde haired, green eyed beauty. "Yeah, go there. We'll meet you." I hang up the phone and jump down from the bar stool I had been sitting on. "We've got to go."

"What's wrong?" Owen asks, getting to his feet and following me through the house to the front door. I quickly pull on my sneakers, not answering him as he collects the keys for his car. We make our way out the front door quickly and climb into the silver BMW. "Sean?" Owen asks once we are seated inside the car.

"Rose has cancer," I finally tell him, staring straight ahead. "Again." God, it feels so good to tell someone. This has been eating at me for the last few days, and I was actually starting to get to the point where I was avoiding my brothers because every time I was in their presence, they would ask. Any other time, I would have told them a little about what was going on, but this situation is different. Sang doesn't know. But if she went to the hospital as early as Gabriel says she did, then there's a strong chance she now does.

"Treatable?" He asks quietly, starting his car and putting his foot down on the gas.

"It was not quite a year ago when she was first diagnosed with it. Now, it's slowly killing her." I look over at him, his wide stricken grey eyes meeting mine as he brings the car to a stop at the end of our drive. "This is it Owen. This is the end for Rose Sorenson."