Her Last Wish - Chapter Twelve

Start from the beginning

xXx

We all arrive at the hospital at the same time, parking our cars as close to the entrance as possible. North jumps out of his jeep. "She isn't answering her phone," he says, as we all meet at the hood of Owen's car.

"Her car is here," Kota says, pointing further up the row of cars. I spot Sang Audi, clenching my jaw shut as I follow the others towards the entrance.

Owen hasn't said a word to me since I told him that Rose was reaching her end. He's angry right now because I kept this from him. But he has to understand the position I was in. I couldn't just tell him, not with Sang being around. If someone had slipped up...I shake my head. What difference would it have made? If I told her, or one of the guys, or even Phil or Rose herself, she's still going to be devastated.

The automatic doors open and Gabriel's voice brings me from my head. "Oy," Gabriel shouts, "What were you fucking thinking leaving-Hey, Sang. What's wrong?"

I shift forward, standing at Luke's side and laying my eyes on her as she looks over us and then around the reception area. All eyes are focused on us, but my eyes are focused on the tear stained, red eyes, beautiful girl in front of me.

I close my eyes. She knows.

My eyes open just as her green stare settles on me. I swallow and I have to fight the urge to press my hand to my chest, over my breaking heart. She looks distraught, completely heartbroken, yet the betrayal swims in those green orbs like a beacon. "You know," I whisper. Her bottom lip begins to tremble and I feel the weight of eight pairs of eyes settle on me. "I'm so sorry, Sang."

I take a step forward, about to explain but before I can, she's lunging herself at me. Her body collides with mine and I grip her waist with my hands as we fall back to the floor. I quickly lift my head, not wanting to smack it back against the marble. Pain shoots up my spine as we make contact but before I can say a word, ask her if she's hurt, her hands are slapping at my chest and I do the only thing I can. I take each slap, dropping my head down to the floor, watching the tears leak from her eyes. Her slaps turn to punches. They hurt, but fuck, I deserve them. My own tears come, falling down my temples as Sang shouts at me. "You knew she's fucking dying and you didn't tell me. All week, all those times we've been by ourselves, you could have told me. You could have told me that the only person I have left is going to die."

My heart. I can't fucking take it. I close my eyes, unable to keep watching a sadness I've never seen before come across her face. She's right, I could have just told her. She has the right to know, but I was respecting Rose's wish, and that was not to tell Sang because it's something she wanted to do herself. Either way, I would have been the bad guy if I had told Sang, or if I didn't. It wasn't a situation where there would be a winner.

Suddenly Sang's weight is off my stomach. I open my eyes, watching as Nathan pulls her away. She breaks down, the tears a constant stream down her cheeks. Her body folds over Nathan's arm and the most brutal, gut wrenching sound I have ever heard, leaves her lips in a scream. She clutches at her chest, as if the organ in it is giving her physical pain. Her knees buckle and Nathan holds her up as he bites his lip, also crying right along with her.

I push myself to my feet, wiping at my face, looking at my brothers. They're watching Sang's breakdown, stricken looks on their faces, crying right along with her as the weight of Sang's words finally start to register in their heads.