Bruce Banner / Hulk - Valentine's Day

Character: Bruce Banner / Hulk

Prompt: Requested by sethurricane1 (ages ago! Sorry for the delay!)

Warnings: None at all. Just a short little loved up snippet.

Length: 767 words

Valentine's Day

"Bruce, take deep breaths for me. We're going to be fine," you murmured, trying to keep Bruce Banner's eyes from searching the small cell you'd become trapped in. It had started as a straightforward mission. The team had been sent to recover all remaining vibranium in the wake of Ultron's attack. It had sounded simple enough. That was until Hydra had showed up and thrown everything into turmoil.

You'd lost comms early on. That had proven a considerable weakness. Due to working in designated pairs, it meant that you were now stranded and increasingly worried. Sure, you knew that each pair could handle themselves. You felt sorry for any agents that attempted to cross Natasha and Clint. Pietro and Wanda were an unstoppable force together. Steve and Bucky had faced much worse in the past and Tony was with an Asgardian god. No worries there. As for yourself, well that was a different ball park.

"Bruce, please look at me," you ordered, mustering together all the authority you could manage. "I need you to focus. We don't want a Code Green in this room, right?"

You watched his eyes dart around the small steel cell. He hadn't said a word since you'd both left the Quinjet. In fact, he hadn't spoken to you directly in weeks. You'd tried not to ponder on that but lately you couldn't help but feel like you'd done something wrong. Had you upset him with something you'd said?

"Dammit, Bruce! Look at me!"

His eyes met yours warily as his hands fiddled with the hem of his grease-smeared shirt.

"Have I done something wrong?" you murmured, immediately scared at what his answer might be.

There was a long pause before Bruce sighed loudly.

"Don't be ridiculous, (Y/N)," his fingers rubbing his eyelids as if he were suddenly tired of the situation.

A sudden gust of rage filled your stomach. You weren't being ridiculous! He'd been ignoring you for weeks and you were damn sick of it.

"You won't speak to me. You barely look at meW we don't spend any time together anymore..." you scathed, your tone becoming less friendly.

"This is barely the place to have this discussion."

"What else am I suppose to do? Short of trapping you in a steel tank, I'm not sure how I'd even get your attention anymore."

"You've always got my attention..."

The room filled with silence. He looked bashful as he realised he'd said the words aloud instead of merely thinking them. You hadn't expected an answer like that. What did he even mean? Sure, there had been flirting on your side in the past. You'd always found him extremely smart, attractive and sexy. Though the possibility of something happening had been extremely low.

"Bruce, what are you saying?"

"I....Well..you..you and I have been good friends for a very long time...and then one day...well remember that time you were helping Thor with his emails....yeah, well I saw you....like I really saw you for the first time."

"You saw me?"

"I saw the way your nose crinkles when you smile. The way your voice fills the room with light. And how you bring happiness to everything you do."

"Bruce..."

"No, you don't have to say anything. This is my fault," Bruce said, letting the inner shame creep into his voice, his arms gesturing to the steal walls, "I should have been honest with you. I'm sorry, (Y/N)..."

Your name had barely fallen from his lips before you crashed upon him.

Given it wasn't the smartest move, he responded but only cautiously. Your lips were tingling with the contact as you pulled away.

"That might not be the best idea to keep my heart rate down, (Y/N)" but his laugh indicated he was more then pleased with the turn of events.

"Can I take a guess now and say it was you who left my the dozen roses for Valentine's Day last week?"

He looked at his hands with embarrassment.

"I didn't know how to tell you and I was a little afraid you'd be... well you'd be repulsed by my attention."

My eyes creased together.

"Bruce, I've counted you as more than a friend for a long time now. You have to know that..."

"Well, I wasn't sure...and I didn't want to ruin anything..."

You placed your index finger to his lips.

"Maybe when we get out of this stupid room, you can take me on a proper date?"

He nodded with a smile.

"Let's get out of here!"

It was just another typical Thursday with the Avengers, you thought to yourself with a smile.