Chapter 10: The Face of The Enemy

Beginne am Anfang

“Mr. Landau. Please.” He pointed his gun at the chair near Tom. The criminal looked shocking in person - his rotten face and bloody eyes must have given chills to anyone who met him. He looked like he could collapse at any moment.

Landau spoke slowly and clearly, “Thanks.  First I want to say that your actions, especially endangering the lives of important personnel, including me, will get you one of the greatest penalties.” He then sat down.

“Tom, you are better than this. Threatening a dying man is not your style. I just wanted to meet you. I believe you have been searching for me too.”

“Depends on who you are.”

 “Oh, I know, you will be happy meeting me... I am the enemy of this ship. The one you were searching for the last week and failed to find.”

“I see…” Tom was tricked and this man was not the first person to trick him this week. He felt a bit annoyed. Was he really that bad at evaluating people? “What should I call you?”

“I have no name. But you can call me The Outsider.  I feel like one.”

“I understand.”

“What? What can you possibly understand?”

“You.”

“Hahahahaha… You can’t possibly believe it…you…hahaha...” The frightening laugh echoed through the hall. Dino managed to get himself together only by clenching the teeth.  “I am sorry.  Sometimes I get carried away by the emotions. That could be the problem with my actions. You must have noticed… I get carried away by things, make small mistakes.”

“It’s ok.“

“So, tell me. What do you understand?”

“I understand that you want to stop us, don’t you?”

“Partially, yes, but I haven’t decided yet. Deep inside I truly think that I would do this universe a great deal of good by making you all disappear.”

“Why so hostile?”

“Look who’s talking.” A wide grin appeared in baldy’s face.  “You’re the perfect example of a human. Nice and pretty on the outside, but a savage animal deep inside. “

“I am not savage. I just have this difficult job.”

“Well we both are similar; my job is to bring justice as well.  Only, I leave fewer bodies in my path.”

“Why do you say that the things you are doing on this ship are just?”

“They are. Tom, please understand the difference between us - at least I know what I’m doing. What about you? Do you even know where you’re going? You’re a blind fanatic."

“So help and tell me.”

“You will have to find it yourself.”

“You are hostile, just as I said.”

“No, my morality is too great to let you go the easy way.”

“Morality is a relative word.”

“Tom, we are getting nowhere with this conversation.  How about we trade our secrets? What would you say about it?”

 “Sure.”

“You go first.”

Tom paused, he was not prepared. He could ask whatever he wanted and there was something mysterious about the man in front of him. It was time to take off the curtain. “Tell me. Where are you now?”