Chapter 3

Watching the race was pretty awesome, even though I usually don't really like Formula 1. There's just something about being at the track that makes it different, better. The race was pretty interesting, at least I thought so but then again, what do I know. Lewis Hamilton came first, followed by Nico Rosberg and Daniel Ricciardo. Max unfortunately didn't finish the race.

Me and my fellow grid girls have to stand in the hallway to the cooldown room and then to the podium. I can already hear the drivers coming and I try to keep a straight face as Daniel walks into view. He was looking at me before the race and even walked up to me, but luckily I had to leave the grid. When he walks closer to me, he spots me and smiles at me, looking directly into my eyes. I smile back, not because I want to, but because it's my job. The drivers disappear into the cooldown room, followed by a bunch of people, which gives me some time to think before seeing Daniel again.

"Are you okay?" Alice, who is standing next to me, asks.

"Yeah, why not?"

"You just have this look on your face, like something is wrong."

"I'm okay, don't worry."

"Is there something between you and Daniel?" Alice asks, making my eyes widen. Was it that obvious? It can't be, right?

"What do you mean?" I ask, trying to act dumb.

"I saw you get nervous when he walked by and when he smiled at you, it looked as if you wanted to disappear into the ground right that second. Do you have a crush on him or something?"

"Well, you can't deny he's handsome," I say, relieved that's what Alice thought she saw.

"He's definitely handsome, but let me give you some advice. If you want to keep doing this, don't get involved with any of the drivers. It always ends badly."

"Okay, thank you for the advice."

"To the podium ladies!" a voice calls out and all of us start moving. The woman who coordinates everything grid girls related and who's name I still don't know stops me.

"Lydia, right?"

"Yes, that's me."

"You will join Alice on the podium today."

"What, really?"

"Yeah, you did really well and the girl who was supposed to do it messed up. Ask Alice what to do, she knows."

"Okay, thank you," I say before walking over to Alice, who's already standing by the door to the podium.

"Hey, what's up?" she asks when she sees me.

"I'm going on the podium with you."

"Really? That's so awesome! Okay, so here's what you have to do," Alice starts, but I don't hear her as I see Daniel walking out of the cooldown room. He's looking around, searching for something, someone. When he sees me, he smiles and starts making his way over to me, but I turn my back to him, hoping he'll understand he can't talk to me right now. I focus on what Alice is explaining as I really don't want to make a fool out of myself when I'm on the podium.

"Hey, wait!" I hear a voice call after me as I follow Alice off of the podium. The ceremony just ended and we're making our way inside now. I know who's calling me and I don't want to talk to that person. But I'm within hearing distance, so it'd be rude not stop and turn around. So that's what I do.

"Yeah?"

"I've been wanting to talk to you," Daniel tells me, a small smile on his face.

"Really? Why?"

"Because I think you're beautiful."

"I bet you tell that to a grid girl every race."

"No, I don't, I swear. Ask anyone."

"So, why me?"

"I don't know, you just stood out to me."

"Well, thank you. But I really have to go," I say as turn around and continue my way to the changing room.

"Wait!" Daniel calls out and he grabs my arm, making me turn around. Daniel lets go of my arm, but the place he touched me feels as though it's on fire.

"What?"

"Would you like to go out for dinner?"

"Dinner?"

"Yeah. Please, I want to get to know you better."

"Better? You don't know me at all, you don't even know my name," I say and judging by the look on Daniel's face, he didn't even realize that before.

"You're right, I'm sorry! What's your name?"

"Lydia."

"Beautiful name," Daniel tells me, just like he told me all those years ago.

"Thank you."

"Don't you want to know my name?"

"I know who you are."

"Still, it's only polite if I introduce myself," Daniel says as he holds out his hand for me to shake, which I do, "I'm Daniel."

"Nice to meet you."

"Pleasure is all mine. So, what do you say about that date?" Daniel asks and I think about it for a few seconds. Daniel doesn't seem to remember anything from the last time we met and he really seems to like me. What would it hurt if I go out with him? It's probably only once as he has to go to his next race. And if it does turn into something more, maybe Macy will actually have a father, her real one. But let's not get ahead of myself.

"Okay, sure."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah, why not?"

"I don't know. Are you free tonight?"

"Tonight?!" I ask shocked. I know he has to leave soon, but I didn't expect him to be this direct.

"Yeah, unless you're busy."

"No, I'm not. But shouldn't you be out celebrating or something."

"I will be, with you."

"Are you sure you want that? Wouldn't you rather celebrate with your team?"

"I can always celebrate with them. Besides, I bet you know all the great spots here in Austin."

"Okay, tonight then."

"I'll pick you up around 7, if that works for you?" Daniel asks and I quickly go over Macy's schedule in my head.

"That should be fine."

"Great, where should I pick you up?"

"Just give me your number and I'll text you the address. Then I can also text you if I'm running late or something," I say, knowing Macy can be a bit fussy sometimes and I don't want to leave Pascalle with that, no matter how often she says she doesn't car.

"Okay, sounds good. Give me your phone, I'll put it in," Daniel says and I do as he tells me. After putting in his number, Daniel hands me back my phone and smiles at me.

"I'll see you tonight then."

"Yeah, see you tonight," I say before I walk off to the changing room. I know Daniel is looking at me until I walk into the room, I can feel it. Just before I walk into the room, I look back and smile at him. Daniel smiles back at me and I walk into the room. How did this day go from working as a gird girl to having a date with Daniel Ricciardo?

It's a date :) What did you think of this chapter? Let me know in the comments! Also let me know what do you think will happen on the date!  And don't forget to vote!

Love you all

Evy
Instagram: readracewrite