Chapter 1

"Lydia, wake up!" someone calls loudly into my ear, making me shoot up.

"What?" I ask confused as I look at my best friend, Pascalle.

"I have awesome news!'

"It can't be that important that you have to wake me up for it. You have no idea how tired I am."

"It is, actually," Pascalle says as she sits down on my bed.

"How did you even get in," I ask as I run my hand through my hair in an attempt to make it look a little less wild.

"I have a key, remember?"

"Right. So, what's the big news?"

"I have the perfect job for you."

"You woke me up because of a job? Couldn't that wait?" I groan annoyed. I mean, I need the money but I also really need sleep.

"No, because interviews are today."

"Today?! What kind of job is it?"

"My aunt told me about it, they're looking for a new grid girl for the race in October," Pascalle tells me. Her aunt works at the Circuit of the Americas, a racing track here in Austin. Pascalle has been going to race with her family ever since she was younger, but I never found it that interesting.

"Why would that be a good job for me?"

"Hello, you have a killer body!"

"Correction, I used to have a killer body. Now I have a mommy body."

"No, you don't, you look amazing. I really think this could be your big comeback," Pascalle says, but I shake my head. Just as I'm about to answer, I hear cries coming from the other room.

"One sec," I say as I get up from my bed. I walk to the other room and lift Macy, my two-year-old daughter, out of her bed.

"Hey there baby girl, wanna join me and Auntie Pas?" I ask her and she nods, tears still in her eyes but at least she has stopped crying. I walk back to my bedroom and sit down on my bed again, putting Macy in between my legs.

"Hey princes, how are you today?" Pascalle asks and Macy starts smiling widely. She absolutely loves Pascalle, which might have something to do with the fact that Pascalle spoils her like crazy.

"As I was about to say, I'm not gonna make a comeback, I don't want to. My life is all about Macy now and modeling just doesn't work with that," I say, making Pascalle sigh.

"There are a bunch of models who have kids, why can't you?"

"Because I don't have a guy around to watch Macy nor do I have to money to pay someone to watch her. Besides, I want to be with my baby girl, not travel around the world and hardly see her."

"You won't have to, you can only do this job and then be done with it."

"Then it wouldn't really be a comeback, would it?"

"Well, no not really, but still. It would be a great job for you and it pays well. I know you can do this Lyd, why not take a chance?"

"Because I can't, not anymore," I say as I look at Macy, who's still peacefully sitting in between my legs, not a care in the world. Ever since I have her to think about, I can't do anything crazy or take any risks. I need to be there for my girl.

"How about this. You go to the audition this afternoon and give it your best shot. I'll watch Macy."

"Don't you have work today?"

"I do, but I'll send someone else. This client isn't too picky when it comes to who does her makeup for the shoot," Pascalle says and I nod. Pascalle is a makeup artist, which is actually how we met years ago. As she was doing my makeup, we started talking and we instantly clicked. Fast forward a few years and she's my best friend, who has supported me through everything.

"Okay fine," I sigh, giving in as I know I'll probably never win this argument.

"Yes!"

"It's funny how you're more excited about this than me."

"Yeah, whatever. Go get in the shower, we need to prepare."

"Already?"

"We've got a lot of work to do girl," Pascalle says, making me gasp even though I know she's right. I get out of bed and make my way to the shower as Macy crawls over to Pascalle. I smile at the two of them, loving how close they are.

"I'll be right back," I say before closing the bathroom door behind me. I undress myself before stepping under the warm falling water. I feel my muscles relax as the water streams down my body. I've been very busy lately and because of that, very stressed. I worked a lot of shifts at the dinner I work at to make some more money, but with Macy waiting on me at home, I didn't get much rest. But as I already had to pay a babysitter to watch Macy during the time I'm working, I couldn't afford to also pay for one when I'm not.

After washing my body and hair, I step out of the shower and quickly dry off before putting on my underwear. I walk back to my bedroom, where I find Pascalle playing with Macy.

"Just put on some comfy clothes, we'll figure out what you'll wear later," Pascalle says as I walk to my closet.

"Okay," I say as I take out sweatpants and a basic shirt.

"Let's get started," Pascalle says excitingly and I already know she's gonna enjoy this a lot. It better be worth it, because I know Pascalle's beauty sessions and they're pretty intense.

"Thank you so much Pas!" I squeal excitingly as I hug her.

"You're welcome Lyd," Pascalle replies, hugging me back just as excited. I just got a call saying I got the job. I'm actually going to be a grid girl during the Austin GP!

"I don't believe it," I sigh amazed as we sit down on the couch.

"You totally deserve this, you did amazing!"

"How do you know?"

"My aunt told me."

"They didn't give me the job because your aunt knows me or out of pity or something, right?"

"No, of course not. You got the job because you earned it," Pascalle says, making me smile. The audition did go pretty well, if I say so myself. But I never expected to actually get the job.

"Okay, otherwise I wouldn't have wanted it."

"Yeah, I know," Pascalle says as Macy comes up to us, making me smile.

"Hey baby girl, mommy got the job! Now I can buy you some new clothes!" I say as I pick Macy up and put her on my lap.

"Lyd, you know you can always ask me when you need something for her."

"Yeah, I know. But as long as I can manage, I will."

"Okay, just saying. I don't want you to struggle so much all the time, especially when I have the means to help you."

"I know that Pas and I really appreciate it, but I need to be able to take care of me and my baby girl. The best way you can help me is just be my best friend and watch Macy every now and then."

"And tell you about awesome jobs like this."

"Of course! Just don't come with jobs like this too often, that beauty session was intense!"

"We should do it more often, just have a girl's night. I miss that," Pascalle says, a small smile on her face, though she looks a little sad.

"Yeah, me too. We'll have one soon, I promise," I say, making Pascalle smile.

"We can even paint Macy's nails!" Pascalle says excitingly.

"Yeah, let's wait a few years with that, okay?"

And that's the first chapter done! What do you think? Like it? What do you think is gonna happen? Let me know your thoughts in the comments and don't forget to vote!

Love you all
Evy
Instagram: readracewrite