Jack didn't make any sarcastic and mocking remark, which Cupid was thankful for. Sometimes the personification of winter could be nice, though Cupid would bet his bag of arrows on the fact that holding his tongue was probably eating away at Jack.

    "So where are you headed?" Jack finally asked, breaking the silence between them after a couple of minutes of just walking. Cupid supposed it was likely an admirable feat for the child of winter.

    "To Café la Rouge," Cupid replied, adjusting his bag of arrows. The sticks jostled together with the motion, making a clattering sound. The wide strap of the bag hung over the shoulder opposite the arm Jack gripped, and he held his bow tightly between him and Jack. No one but them and other immortals like them could see the bow and arrows, so he didn't need to worry about how strange a sight it would be for a boy who looked eighteen to be carrying archery equipment into a café. All anyone else would see was a bag slung over his shoulder and his hand loosely fisted. In fact, he didn't even have to be seen at all if he didn't want to be. Like all immortals similar to him and Jack, they had the ability to choose whether they wanted to be seen or not. Anyone who saw them would forget about them soon after anyway, unless they were true believers. It was beneficial for people like Easter Bunny, Santa Clause, Tooth Fairy, and Sandman, as well as Cupid and Jack.

    Jack screwed his face up in a look of disbelief. "Why in the world would you want to go there? Why not go to the park and actually have fun?"

    Cupid sighed exasperatedly and looked to the sky, watching the tiny flakes of snow fall to the earth.

    "Because it's Valentine's Day, and every Valentine's Day I go out and triple my usual quota of love matches. It's the one day a year where millions of people actually put an effort into finding their true love, and it's my job to help them do that," Cupid explained for what must have been the millionth time in the last three hundred years.

    Three hundred years ago, Cupid met Jack, the son of Old-Man Winter and Mother Nature. Before that, Cupid had only heard stories about the cold boy, of how he was a mischievous boy who loved snow and pulling pranks. Cupid, who was named after his grandfather, the original cupid and son of Venus, was only six-hundred-years-old at the time, or twelve-years-old in human years. Though they were called immortals, they didn't live forever like in most bedtime stories. For them, every fifty human years was one immortal year, meaning that though Cupid looked like an eighteen-year-old boy, he had actually lived for 900 years. Jack was the same age as him, give or take a few human years.

    Upon meeting Jack Frost, Cupid found he instantly disliked the other boy. Jack was loud, hyper, and very much extroverted. Wherever he went, he thought nothing was ever perfect unless it was cold and snowing. Two things, which Cupid couldn't stand. Snow meant ice, and ice meant he would slip and fall. The cold meant less people would be out and about, which meant fewer matches he could make. However, while he disliked Jack Frost, he also felt himself drawn to him. Jack was fun, when he wasn't creating blizzards or throwing snowballs at Cupid, and his smile made Cupid's stomach flip.

    "True love this, true love that -- when are you going to just relax and have fun? I'm sure true love can wait," Jack was saying as they crossed yet another street.

    "It can't wait, millions of people are out there searching for their true love right now, and if I can nudge even one pair toward each other, then-"

    "Blah blah, yeah, yeah, they'll get together and live happily ever after while going forth and multiplying, thus giving you even more people to match up," Jack dismissed, waving his free hand about. Tiny snowflakes danced around it as he talked.

    Cupid frowned. "I like helping people find their soul mate."

    "I never said you didn't, but there's more to life than just pairing people up as if you're Noah preparing for the great flood."