Flowers and Motor Oil

*Warning: Mild coarse language. However, the story is quite clean.

Written and posted on February 17th, 2016.

            When the sun went down and everyone locked their doors and windows from the darkness that descended upon the town, that was when the true fun began.

As fog rolled and hung close to the ground, creating a light dew on the blades of maintained grass, two figures weaved their way through the numerous slabs of stone reaching up toward the sky. Some barely reached their hips, while a few stood like miniature skyscrapers at five and six feet in height. The full moon was high in the sky, but the glow it should have been giving off was greatly diminished by the fog and the dark clouds, making it almost impossible to see where the two figures were going. There had been no one around to see the two teenage boys sneak through the gate at the entrance to the cemetery, and there continued to be nobody as the older boy led the younger one by his wrist down rows of gravestones. Finally the older boy came to a halt beneath an old apple tree that sat in the very centre of the oldest part of the cemetery. Being spring, the tree was in full bloom with little white flowers, each with five petals that held a pink tinge that would fade as the blossoms matured to the point where apples would begin to grow. It was beautiful, even in the foggy darkness of the graveyard, but it wasn't what either boy was there to see. No, their attention was on each other.

The older boy, with his short dark hair curling around the tops of his ears and lazily falling across his forehead in light waves, leaned back against the trunk of the large tree and stared at his companion. Their hands were still intertwined, his slightly calloused palm pressed against the other boys smooth one, his long fingers slid in between the slender ones of the other. No one would have guessed that these two were in love, simply by looking at how they acted around others. But it was during moments like these, when they were alone and able to just be themselves, that anyone could see clear as day the adoration and love in each of their expressions. The older boy couldn't stop staring at the boy he called his, relishing in the feel of their hands clasped together in that silent moment.

"Dawson," the younger boy called softly, having noticed that his friend hadn't stopped staring at him since they had arrived at their spot.

Blinking as he came back to the here and now, Dawson's lips titled up into a crooked smile as he pulled the younger boy closer to him by their joined hands, until they stood chest to chest, their eyes locked. It was then that the height difference became much more apparent between the two, and Dawson couldn't help but smirk when he looked down at the other boy, who in return had to crane his head back to look up at the older and much taller boy. There was only a year between them, but with that year came the hope that the smaller boy would have one final growth spurt to at least be able to quit craning his neck back to stare up at his six foot five friend. It wasn't fair in his eyes that he was stuck at only five foot eight, and hated it whenever Dawson teased him about his height. It wasn't like he was the shortest in his class, but he still didn't like that most of the other boys were between five foot ten and six foot two.

"Carlie," Dawson breathed against the younger boy's lips. He placed his other hand on Carlie's hip, hooking his middle finger in the belt loop there.

The scowl that arose on the smaller boy's face made Dawson bite the inside of his lip to keep himself from laughing.

"I told you not to call me that," Carlie snapped, his brows pulled down into a frown while his lips curled back in distaste.

This time, he couldn't keep himself from laughing, which only earned him a pouted lip and a glare.

"I know, but I like calling you Carlie instead of Carl because it's mine, and no one else can ever get away with calling you that," Dawson admitted, giving his pouty companion a peck on the nose.