Piece of Cake

Could asking a guy out be that hard? For seventeen-year-old Louis, the answer is yes. Not only is he extremely shy, but he's also short and gay. To make matters worse, the guy he wants to ask out is Aaron Cooper, another guy and a lone wolf. Aaron doesn't like people, he sees no use in even trying to be friendly because everyone seems so fake and self-absorbed to him. So how could meek and quiet Louis ever ask tall and brooding Aaron out on a date?

Warning: A few swear words are said in this story, and there's a whole lot of cringe-worthy moments.

Copyright Whimsically_Me © 2016

Written and posted on Nov. 11, 2016.
___________

    Sitting in the back corner of the library during study hall had its advantages; such as less noise to distract me, and the best angle to gaze at Aaron Cooper unnoticed.

    Aaron sat at an oak table less than fifteen feet away from me, his lanky form slouched over the book that laid open in front of him. His left elbow sat on the table, propping his head up at an angle with his hand tangled in his dark, earthy brown hair. I couldn't see his face from where I sat, squeezed into a cubicle-styled desk against the back wall of the building. While Aaron seemed to be reading a book he had pulled off one of the many rows of shelves, I had my math book and notebook splayed out on the surface of the desk. Math class was last period, and the teacher had assigned us over twenty questions to do for homework before tomorrow - homework that I was supposed to be doing right now so I wouldn't have to worry about it when I got home. But the opportunity to observe the dark haired boy, who consumed my thoughts and caused butterflies to flutter in my stomach, was almost too good to pass up.

    As I watched, Aaron flipped the page of his book, then lifted his head to glance down the row of books in front of him. Following his gaze, I stared at the end of the aisle as Mindy, a girl who I shared math and chemistry with, stepped out. She walked up to the table Aaron sat at and placed her hand on the back of the chair opposite him. Her mouth opened, but I couldn't hear what she said from this distance. A smile rose to her lips as she leaned slightly closer to Aaron, her manicured nails pulling the few books and the pen in her hand closer to her chest.

    My heart pinched at the sight of the two of them, reminding myself how stupid I was to feel this way toward Aaron. I didn't stand a chance, Aaron was way out of my league.

    Just as I was about to tear my gaze from the pair, I noticed Mindy's lips slowly turn down into a frown as Aaron shook his head. It was apparent that the conversation was over when Aaron simply looked back down at his book and continued to read. Mindy stood there another moment, her expression hurt, before she turned away and disappeared back up the aisle she had came down.

    I knew Aaron wasn't a people person, he was known to push people away and get easily bored when someone tried to talk to him, but even so, the sight of him turning away Mindy - a cute girl with an overly friendly and sweet personality - made me a little bit happy.

    It was stupid to crush on a guy like Aaron Cooper, but the heart never seemed to listen to what it was told.

____

    As prom grew ever nearer, my stomach churned more and more with nerves. I didn't want to finish out my last year of high school and regret not going to prom; regret not asking Aaron to go on a date with me; regret never coming out of this shell I've hid myself inside for my entire life.

    That's why I was going to ask Aaron out on a date. Today. Right now.

    I mean, how hard could it be to ask a guy out?