Chapter 20: "St. Valentine"

"Wake up."
"Noooooooooo"
"Wake up Y/n."
"Never in a thousand years."
"Please."
"It's like 8, wake me up when I give a fuck."
"I have hot chocolate."
"Gimme!"

I sat up in the bed rather sharply, staring at my significant other with fire in my eyes. I took the mug from his hands, sipping it slowly. I had a warm smile on my face. Marshmallows and light fluffy chocolate engulfed my senses. It was delightful to say the least. Good thing to wake up to.

It was around 8:00, and I had to work around 2:00, so I had a few hours to kill. He must have gotten up earlier to make this for me, since I sleep like a rock, I didn't notice. Zane grunted, hugging my waist as I finished the drink. His hair was matted in front of his eye, stood up in the back like he hasn't brushed it. His pajamas were plaid, courtesy of me, with a band logo as the shirt. He had this look in his eye, I couldn't explain it. Devious was one word that came to me, the other was conniving.

I was at the least bit alarmed.

"What's up?"
"You know what day it is?"
"Er.... your birthday?"
"No, that's in July, I'm talking about Valentine's Day."
"Ah shit, that dumb holiday."

I had completely forgotten, what with the swarm of working I had recently and my wedding planning all finished up. My mind was already a blur, and now I had this?

I'm sorry but no one needs a holiday to celebrate their loved ones. They should be cherished every day. It's just another commercialized holiday for the few people in high school to indulge in for cheap candy and the satisfaction that you've received more so you're loved more.

Why can't Halloween be this big an affair? Do you have any idea how cool it would be if we all got into costume and just had fun rather than spend $20 on big hearts made of tiny chocolate that won't last 8 seconds?

Dude, $20 can get you the MEGA bag of candy during Halloween. How sick is that?

Candy wagged her tiny tail, barking at me as she jumped on the bed. I patted her head down before addressing my fiancé, of whom still didn't let go of my stomach.

"I'm sorry, I'll pick up something for you on my way back. I've gotta be the worst fiancée ever.."
"No, it's completely fine. I wouldn't mind anything you got."
"I still feel bad. I'll drop by the cupcake emporium and grab you a dozen. All yours."
"And that's why I love you. No one likes day old cupcakes."
"Which is why I conveniently forgot.."

I laughed sheepishly, setting down the mug and covering my face in my hands before I stood upward off the bed. He fell back, rubbing his eyes.

"Zane, where's Candy's chew toy?"
"In the kitchen, why?"
"She's been eating one of our pillows."
"Dammit."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

This was dumb.

Why of all days, today, would the cupcake store be entirely ransacked like the target Christmas aisle during late November?

Cause it's Valentine's Day, fuck you.

Honestly I would rather jump into a vat of acid then turn up with nothing at home, and Zane gets back around 9. It was 6, and I was done with work.

An idea popped into my head, a very dumb one, but an idea nonetheless.

"I'll make my own."

I gushed at the thought, then remembered my baking track record. Rolling my eyes, I grabbed a box of mix and paid for it at the counter, pocketing it and racing back to my car. Snow had began to fall again, and ain't no way am I getting trapped in a blizzard.

This ain't Mario Kart, I'm not on Rainbow Road.

I feel like it though.

I got home at around 7, unlocked the door and began baking.

Everything was going well, I mixed in all the ingredients and spun the mix around. The batter was in the oven when my phone rang. I set a timer and answered.

"Hey."
"New phone who this?"
"Funny. It's Gene, how's your day?"
"Good, I guess. Making cupcakes for Zane, you?"
"Spending it alone again."
"Sorry dude, I could try setting you up with someone I know."
"Nah, it's cool. I'll be fine."
"Why did you call?"
"Someone came by my house earlier and asked me where you lived. She had really long brunette hair and green eyes. I told her, since she looked nice, but I'm wondering if you knew her?"
"No..."

I swear dropped, hearing the doorbell ring as he said that. I took the cupcakes out of the oven and ran to the door, keeping the phone on my shoulder.

A tall woman stood there. She wore a jacket that folded in on the sides, a striped blue shirt and tight coal skinny jeans. Her expression was blunt, and her brunette hair was worn in a ponytail. Her forest green eyes looked me up and down with a glare.

"Are you Y/n?"
"Uhh.. yes?"
"Oliver gave me this to give to you. Party invite at his house for his sister's birthday. He couldn't figure out who to ask."
"Oh, you're Ayaka, right?"
"Doesn't matter, does it? Take the paper."

She dropped the envelope in my hands, walking away with a nod of her head.

"She's strange."

I said under my breath, closing the door behind me. I opened the letter with wide eyes, and set it on the table next to me. The cupcakes were my priority, not a birthday party.

I iced them with strawberry icing, of which I ate half of before even using it. I giggled, the cupcakes looking pretty badly made, but made from the heart, and they didn't taste too bad either.

Zane came back at around 9:30 with a large vase of (flowers) in his arms. I gasped, tearing up at the sight of him. He wore his hair back in a ponytail, his eyes both exposed and tired looking.

"You have no idea how hard it is to get flowers at 8:00 at night."
"You don't have any clue how tough it is to make cupcakes."
"You made them?"
"The store was packed."
"Thank you."

His eye sparkled as he set down the vase, kissing my forehead lightly. I sat on the counter, waiting for him to eat the dessert.

He took a bite, smiled, and smashed it square in my face.

"It's amazing."
"H-hey! Why did you go and do that?"
"Cause you're the sweetest."

He pun-ned, licking the frosting off of my cheek.

"And I couldn't ask for more."

------------------------------

Admin Time!!!!

Happy Valentine's Day

Single for the 17th year in a row

I'm the only one keeping track. :/

Hey, the bright side is, more candy for me after this hell is over, am I right?

No seriously I just want a girlfriend for this day, can I pay someone?

Jk, I'm not that desperate

Okay maybe.

But, I hope you liked the chapter, 2 within less than a week, I'm pretty good.

Thanks for Reading :)