Chapter 11: "Giving Gifts"

Zane's POV

"Christmas is in two weeks."

I sighed into my mask, staring into a door shop window.

"I still don't have a gift for her."

Glimpsing at each and every mall venue, I found that most closed at 8:00.

It was 7:00 and I still had no idea what to get for Y/n.

"She's so perfect to me. Soft, sweet and caring. What do you get for someone like her?"

I would ponder, walking by each store with a skeptical look, window shopping  the finest things.

"Necklaces are cliche."

I negated a tacky jewelry store.

"A gift card isn't considerate, it's a cop out. If anyone knew what to give her, it should be me."

Cold air drafted from the outside whenever someone opened a door. It was snowing terribly, and I'd be stuck in the mall if I hadn't made haste.

Last minute, I might add.

I crumpled up my soda can, tossing it away as I passed by a Macy's.

"Cheap clothing. What am I?"

I sat on a bench, pressing my fingers against my forehead in angst.

"What do you get the girl who deserves everything?"

I asked out loud.

"She's nice enough to accept Gene, accept me. She's always been there! I want to make this so special, I want her to be happy."

Maybe I was overthinking this. Maybe she wouldn't mind something cute or stuffed. I mean, she's an adorable person who deserves something adorable. It's the thought that counts right?

No.

No one really cared how much thought you put into something if it doesn't look good.

"Maybe we can get matching sweaters."

I offered, before mentally smacking myself in the face at how awful that looked in my head.

I was inwardly offended.

"Never mind, earrings? A book? I took her to see that movie she loved last week and they have a novel."

I scanned the mall for a Barnes and Nobles, but they didn't have one.

"Course, the one time I leave the house alone is the one time I need guidance. Just my dumb luck."

Huffing slightly, I flicked out my phone. The case was broken, I put a new one on my list.

2 unread messages

Hmm... who texted me?

Best friend

"Hey! Make sure you get (Y/n) to make that special (food you can make/favorite food) for the party! Garroth and Laurance are spending their first Christmas together, and I want it to be great!"

"Pshh. (Y/n) would make it regardless."

I mocked, typing that in and sending.