Chapter 13. | Birthday cake

Start from the beginning

"Allies with the enemy now?" Daemon taunted. "What? Have nobody on your side? You poor thing."

"I know that deep inside you fear me and what I am capable of." Joker was getting agitated with each word, as he walked towards the Captain, his head moving from side to side like a snake ready to attack. The clown bent over towards his ear and whispered, "If I can make my enemy work for me, think of what else I can do."

For a moment, Daemon's body stiffened and J knew it as he laughed.

"So, how's your dead wife Jeannie doing?" Joker's laughter dropped in an instant and he growled, grabbing Daemon's neck, pointing his gun towards his forehead as he backed him against the wall with immense strength but Daemon seemed unfazed by any of it.

Batman stepped forward but J raised his hand at him, stopping any move from the dark knight before it even started.

"Stay out of this, Bats." he said, his eyes fixed on Daemon's, "Why do you care, Captain Shit? You killed her, you son of a bitch."

"No, no... don't get me wrong. I'm just missing her petite little body, that sweet rosy cheeks, and just seeing her naked was a dream come true. I don't blame her. She needed a man, not a failed excuse of an actor who couldn't even feed her!" Daemon teased and Joker's face turned into pure confusion before realization striked him hard. He couldn't believe his ears as he slammed Daemon's head against the wall, who didn't flinch but smiled victoriously.

"Accept it Joker!" Daemon shouted. "Your dead wife cheated on you with me."

Joker didn't move, his jaw was rigid, trying not to leak out any emotions but deep inside, his heart was burning with rage. "I wonder how would Harley's body b—" and then he lost it. Joker pulled the trigger, the bullet hitting Daemon right on his left shoulder, but it was not enough for him. Joker didn't want him to die. He wanted him to suffer in pain.

"Don't you dare say a word about Harley or I'll cut your dick in half! Her body is permanently damaged because of you, piece of shit!" Joker view turned red and his fist landed on Daemon's face again and again until Batman grabbed him by the arms and pulled him away from the Captain, whose laughter only added more wrath to the clown.

The room was suddenly filled with smoke that came from one of Batman's bombs and he dragged the Joker out of the room through the secret passage, leaving a hurt Daemon laying on the floor.

'Harley is alive.' he thought. The harlequin was his next target.

♠︎ ♣︎ ♥︎ ♦︎

Harley giggled like a little girl when a cloud of flour filled the air, covering her already pale face. Alfred joined in her laughter and quickly reached for the mixer to turn it off. It was a cute scene to watch; you didn't have to be a genius to notice that, no matter how hard he tried not to, the old man was growing fond of the bubbly blonde girl.

"Alfie, I had it all under control!" she said as she shook off the flour from her braided hair and clothes. He smirked and turned the mixer on once more in low speed.

"You have to make sure to start on low speed after you add the dry ingredients or you will end up with a flour storm," said Alfred as he tapped the tip of Harley's nose which was covered in white powder, "just like it happened now, lass."

The harlequin nodded obediently and watched the ingredients twirling as they blended, her stomach making a funny sound at the smell of chocolate filling her nostrils. She unconsciously placed a hand on her tummy and smiled to herself.

"Thank you for baking me a birthday cake, Alfie." she said as Alfred stopped the mixer and poured the batter in the baking pan. "No one's ever baked anything for me before."

The butler smiled down at her sympathetically. "Well you need to learn so you can bake cakes for that little one."

Harley's smile faltered, her hand pressed closer to her belly. She was still reluctant to the idea of being a mother, however things seemed to be getting better; with the Joker's help she had even managed to stand up and take a few baby steps. It was painful but the progress was worth it. And his yearning for the baby melted her and left her helpless, with no options. Harley loved that man so much to the point of forgetting herself in the process to make him happy.

"Alfred, do you think having this baby is the right thing to do?"

The old man froze, staring blankly at the oven. Any other time the answer would have been absolutely not, but he had seen changes in the odd couple and perhaps, this child, was the salvation for the crazy clowns. Maybe the Joker could do some good for the sake of the kid.

Alfred smiled and served Harley and himself a cup of tea. "I think this little one is going to bring so much joy to your lives, young lady." he said, taking a seat next to her. 

She stiffened at his words, the bird boy present on her mind and for the first time since Robin's death, Harley felt miserable. Tears filled her big eyes and she reached for Alfred's hand and they stared at each other in mutual understanding.

"I'm so sorry, Alfie." said the harlequin. The butler nodded. It was all forgiven.

A few minutes later, when Alfred was about to decorate the cake, a fuming Joker entered the kitchen and as soon as he spotted Harley, he scooped her up from the wheelchair in his arms and stormed out of the place, leaving Alfred with a confused look.

The cake would have to wait.