She took good care of me, but there wasn't much that I could do in return, although she had told me several times that she greatly appreciated my good behavior. Diane was letting her do it, so I remained silent even though I didn't like it.

Ninette took another blood sample, "I have no idea how you are still going."

Diane shrugged, she was breathing somewhat heavily, but not that hard, "I can probably run like this for another half hour, unless I really push myself, but that will stir up the heat quite a bit."

She nodded thoughtfully, "Yes, please try pushing yourself slightly and I will get a sample with each pass."

Diane made several passes running at speeds that didn't seem possible for humans. She stopped each time for Ninette's assault with the needle. Ninette shook her head, "Can you try to really push yourself, but not stop for two passes? Your breathing and heartrate are slowing quite noticeably even in the 20 seconds it takes me to get a blood sample."

I blinked at Ninette's request. I knew that if she really pushed herself that her muscles would hurt. She had told Ninette that as well. I didn't like that Ninette didn't seem to take her pain into consideration in her testing, although she may have forgotten. Diane nodded and took off again.

Diane's eyes started glowing slightly as she hit speeds that should have been impossible. I couldn't figure out how she could move her feet so quickly, they seemed to blur. She passed by us in a fraction of the time it had taken her previously. Ninette looked astounded as she watched with her mouth slightly open in shock.

By the time Diane stopped beside Ninette, she was breathing heavily and sweating. I couldn't remember the last time I had seen Diane sweat. Ninette held up a small vial of pure silver blood in triumph, "Look what we have. Why don't we head back so we can analyze this further? Sorry Diane, but there really isn't room for three on this horse. We can alternate who gets to ride."

Diane shook her head, "Nah, we can walk a ways and I should be able to jog the rest of the way back unless the horse wants to slow down."

She nodded, "Alright, set the pace you want."

I chose to walk beside Diane since I could keep up at this speed. I also didn't really want to sit by Ninette since I was somewhat upset at her actions. Ninette kept glancing at Diane's heart rate monitor and noting it down. It didn't take long before Diane gestured for me to get up behind Ninette. I climbed up as Diane picked up speed once more.

Ninette went back to the lab to look at the blood samples, so Diane and I were free for a while. Diane led me around as she took a quick self-tour of the settlement. She used hand gestures to point out guards, weak spots, and possible ways to get out once night fell. I took note of them just in case I needed it in the future.

Diane spotted a playground with about a dozen children and headed over. She had some odd idea in her head that it was important for me to play with other children. I wasn't sure why she thought that, but I wasn't going to argue since it was one of the few things that she was firm about. Truth be told, playing with other children once a day wasn't exactly a terrible thing. It was fun once I could get over my shyness.

Diane occasionally joined in a few games. She had to hold her knees up since she was tall enough to touch the ground, but she had no problems doing the monkey bars backwards. I hid a grin as she broke up two minor fights between boys. The stubborn boys hadn't wanted to listen to her, but the moment they spotted her bright blue eyes, they lost their train of thought. They were unsure about the blue eyed stranger that told them to play nicely, but they listened to her. It was kind of funny.

Parents started coming to take their kids to supper. Once the last child left, I wandered back over to Diane. She looked at me, her bright blue eyes were always a surprise – it just wasn't a color you could get used to. I had been around her enough that I had gotten accustomed to their color. Diane spoke, "Feel like waiting a bit before braving the supper rush? We can take our plates and one for Ninette and go find her to eat in peace."