Chapter 1

Chicago

I watched as the buildings grew bigger, knowing that we were almost to our amazing house just slightly outside of the main city. We were still close enough to 5 malls, this making me ecstatic because of the fact that only one of them lacked a Hot Topic. Ugh, Hot Topic. Don't even get me started on how much I love that store. I bought all of my Green Day and Blink 182 merch from there, and also some things from my favorite Disney movies. *Cough* Nightmare Before Christmas *Cough*. I was at least happy to have Hot topics nearby, being able to buy things when I wanted. I needed to drive around the city tomorrow to find a job though.

We pulled up into the driveway of the house and just stopped. I'm not sure for how long, but we sorta just sat there. I stared at the garage door and sighed. My mom opened her door and signaled for us to all get out along with her. We had already been here last week to set up our beds and couches, but everything else we had in the moving truck, including the sleeping bags we had been sleeping on for the past week and a half. I obliged and hopped out of the car, impatiently pulling my own key out of my purse and ran into the house, going up to my room before the moving truck got here.

I opened the bedroom door and smiled at the mint green walls and began placing things in my head around the room. This went on until I heard my mom telling me to come get my boxes out of the moving truck, since I have quite a few of them. I dashed down the stairs and out to the moving truck, searching for my boxes. When I finally had all of my boxes out, I left the other two to bring in the rest of the things for our new place.

I smiled as I sat the last box down on top of the eleven others, and glanced at the one on my bed that contained bedding. Still grinning, I walked over to my bed, picked up the pocket knife, and sliced open the tape that was sealing the box. I grinned wider as the baby pink bedspread that would contrast perfectly with the walls pushed itself out of the box, wanting to come out of the box after a week of being in the compacted box. I pushed my hands into the box to pull out the baby pink duvet out of the box, then pulled out the matching sheets. I slowly and normally made my bed, sliding on the fitted sheet then the top sheet, then I looked for my fuzzy mint green blanket, finding it at the bottom of the box. I lay it out and smoothed it down, making sure there were no unnecessary bumps on it, then finally lied my duvet over the bed. I pulled it up so that I had to fold it down about a foot to make it fit, leaving it hanging about three feet off the foot of the bed, and covering both of the sides, about three inches off the ground on both sides. I grabbed my baby pink and mint green pillows out of a garbage bag and lied them out nicely on the headboard. I stood back and admired my work. I had always been told that I was good at making beds.

I stepped back and walked over to the boxes. There were twelve boxes to unpack. I didn't mind, really. I loved decorating rooms, as I had decorated my friend Jennifer's room back in Philadelphia. I glanced at the six poster leaning against the wall and grinned, though I decided I would out them up in a minute. After I folded and put away all of my clothes, leaving me with five boxes, I pulled out my bathroom box and grinned, remembering that each of us had out own bathroom. Finally. No more annoying brother coming in while I was doing my makeup and peeing right in front of me. I walked right across the hall and into my bathroom, smiling once again at the un-decorated bathroom. After placing my aqua shower curtain up, I unpacked all of my bathroom needs and left the room. I now only had four boxes left, and most of them were room decorations.

"Luce?" I heard mo mom call form down the hall. My brother had the whole basement to himself, so my mom and I shared the upstairs. She got the master bed and bath, so I got the other room and bathroom. The guests would use the main floor bathroom, and my brother would use the bathroom in the basement. "Are you done with your room?"

"Not yet mom. Just starting on decorating, then I'll be done." I said since I heard her walking towards my room, so I didn't want to yell. I smiled at her when she walked in, slowly opening the white door. She admired my work and grinned at me.