Prologue

I closed my eyes, leaned my head against the window, and sighed, knowing that this might actually be the last time I ever see Philadelphia. Listening to my mom and annoying little brother wasn't exactly my idea of starting a move to another state, but here we are. They're yelling about something ridiculous, I don't really know, but it's annoying nonetheless. I imagine the long drive that we have ahead of us while I wait for my mom and brother to finally just get in the damn car.

The driver door flew open and my mother got into the car with a puff, slamming the door as she sat down. Just about the same sounds came from the back seat as well. My mother glared into the rearview mirror at my brother for slamming the door. Her piercing green eyes frightened both my brother and I to no end. That's why most of the time you will never catch us looking her in the eyes.

I turned around and raised an eyebrow at my brother, and he simply rolled his eyes. Typical. Colby Jacobson wasn't exactly an "ideal" teenager, which made him an even worse brother. He was always moping around the house, listening to his stupid sad music. Our mom and him were constantly arguing, which has been constant since our dad died. The night mom got the phone call that dad's flight went down, none of us have ever been the same.

It changed my mom the most, though.

Chicago.

I always had mixed feelings about that place. Even more that I was going to start and end my Junior and Senior years there. I mean, I was seventeen and I had to move with my mother to Chicago. She hated the city just as much as I did, but, she also LOVED the house as much as I did. The house was beautiful. Not exactly big, but it was pretty. It was white with roses and small shrubs planted at the sides of the front porch. It was a three bedroom house, perfect for my mom, brother and I. My brother. He was... Well, he was another story. He was completely opposite from me, taking on my mothers features instead of my dads. They both had strawberry red hair, complimenting their brown eyes and pale skin. They were both slightly heavier weight, but not an unhealthy weight, just naturally heavier. They both looked as though they always stayed cooped up inside our old blue house watching television. But me, on the other hand, looked exactly like my father.

I had long brown hair, reaching down to my mid-back. My skin was a tan color, making my hair stand out beautifully. I was littirally as skinny as a twig, able to eat whatever I could and not gain any weight whatsoever. I had sky blue eyes, with a tint of grey in there that you could see only when I was upset. These eyes were hard to look at, every time remembering my father. He had died when I was ten and my brother was eight. He had gotten into a plane crash, his body never to be found. It was hard at first, but it got better. My mother and I became best friends at that point, knowing that we only had each other and my stupid little brother.

I still felt my mother's eyes glued to my head, even though I had mine closed and my face toward the window. It was only two in the afternoon, but I didn't want to see us pass the Philadelphia sign and break down into tears. I was leaving my friends. It was hard, knowing I would most likely never see them again until I was eighteen and out of high school, and even then we might all have moved on at that point. I heard my mother sigh from behind me and I rolled my eyes still keeping them shut, knowing I would have to look at her sooner or later.

"Lucinda, don't be that way." I shot a look at her and she shrugged at me in surrender.

"Don't call me that." I sighed annoyed as I looked back out the window, just in time to see the sign pass the window. Great. Thanks mom.

"Well, Luce, sometimes I have to call you by your full first name to get the point across to you." She explained. My mom was never one to talk sternly, but she didn't have that kindergarten teacher soft voice, just not stern. I liked that about her since she knew I was sensitive to being yelled at. "I want you to know I'm excited for you to go to school. I know it's a big move, but you'll like it there. I know we don't like the city, but you and I both know you are completely in love with the house." She smirked at that before continuing. "And if your brother is any problems, let me know." I whipped my head around to glare at him.

"Yeah, fresh meat, you can't go around talking shit about me a school."

"Lucinda Jacobson!" I turned back around to look at her, knowing she would give me the 'watch your language' talk. I spared her the trouble and rolled my eyes and looked back out the window. I shoved my earbuds in before she could speak, blasting 21 Guns by Green Day. Okay, something you don't know about me, I'm not the one that dresses Emo, but I classify myself as Emo by the music I listen to. My mom hated it, but she had argued way too much and had given up at this point. I'm not sure why, but a wave or tiredness came over me, and I thought about how maybe I would like this new school. How maybe it would be okay, maybe I would survive this, and maybe I would like it in Chicago, and maybe I would have a good life there. It wasn't likely, since I hated the place, the only good thing being the house. Well, I guess you never know until you give it a chance, right? That's what everyone says anyways.

Life was hard. Not having my dad around, having stupid bipolar mood swings, a cranky teenage brother, and way too many heartbreaks to last a lifetime. Oh well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

////////////////////

The next chapter will be longer, I promise.

XoXo

BeautifulDreamer202