Chapter Six

Celty sighed inaudibly as she opened the door back up to her home. She'd been gone for the past few hours simply riding Shooter, lost in memories of the past.

Shizuo...her best friend.

Izaya....the genius informant.

They had died a few weeks ago in a terrible car accident no one had seen coming.

Celty had attended both of their funerals and comforted her lover Shinra through the most difficult time in his life.

But...people were supposed to move on.

Not just the souls of the dead, but the living as well.

You couldn't stay stuck in the past, Celty was sure of it.

"Izaya, I said to take it easy! You have to learn how to walk again, alright? These things take time!" A voice suddenly interrupted the distraught dullahan's thoughts.

"Shut up, Four Eyes! This is your fault anyway!" Someone else replied haughtily and caused Celty to turn away from the direction of her bedroom and slowly make her way back into the lab.

Walking inside, Celty stopped and 'stared' at the scene in front of her. She had hoped that Shinra would see reason, that he would understand what he did was wrong...but seeing him smiling vibrantly made her wish crumble.

A raven sat down on the floor, his legs splayed out in front of him. His expression was more than a little annoyed but his eyes betrayed nervousness. Next to him a blond clutched a counter top, his own legs shaking from the effort.

"Shinra, this isn't fucking working!" The taller man who struggled to stay upright hissed.

Brown eyes glinting, Shinra rolled his eyes.

"Shizuo, give it some time. You've only just woken up today, it's been weeks!" Shinra exclaimed.

Dark red eyes glanced up at the doctor sharply.

"Weeks? I was under the impression that we weren't even living anymore. Stop pretending it didn't happen." Izaya muttered, his voice unusually soft. Shinra's happy grin fell off at that and his own eyes turned furious.

"Death? There was no death! You two...you were just injured from the accident! And I patched you up! That's what HAPPENED." He smiled again at Izaya, his face menacing.

Izaya flinched and looked away, taking deep breaths. Even Shizuo seemed taken aback by his friends outburst.

Celty chose that moment to make the three men aware of her existence. Tapping on the door gently, she felt her heart hurt a little at the sight of Shinra's immediate cheer from her arrival.

"Celty, you've returned~! That's great, I was just about to start dinner for the four of us! I was thinking hot pot, yeah? Sure, it's usually for a lot of people but we deserve a little celebration, don't you think?" He asked, bouncing a bit from excitement.

Izaya frowned and looked away, deep in thought. Shizuo looked just as perplexed and he stumbled over to the smaller brunet.

"Shinra...we have to talk about this-"

"I'll start right now!" Shinra shouted and immediately left the room, a smile still spread across his face.

Shizuo chewed on the bottom of his lip and he glanced over at Celty.

"So...how have you been?" He asked her softly, hoping for a better reaction this time.

He wasn't the same but...they were still friends, weren't they?

Celty just had to give them a chance.

The dullahan froze at Shizuo's voice and she took a step back.

[I should go help Shinra] Fleeing, Celty closed the door behind her and left them alone.

Shizuo breathed out a small sigh and hung his head.

"You're still a protozoan, I see." A quiet voice behind him mumbled. Shizuo whipped around and threw a terrifying glare at the younger raven.

"What the fuck are you saying, flea?" He snarled.

Izaya lifted up his head and to Shizuo's surprise, the tiniest smile laid there.

"At least something is the same."

He whispered before letting his head hang again.