We walked until the sun set and Desederium Forest was far behind us. Out here there was only a dirt road, barely walked, and trees on either side. It was like coming out of a forest only to enter another one, but by this point, no other forest could ever be as frightening as the Desederium Forest.

We set up camp by the side of the trail, under a blanket of stars. Ashley refused to talk to anyone; instead, she stayed by the side of Jason's cold body, rocking herself and crying softly. Aaron suggested we give Jason a proper funeral. "No hero is complete without a hero's farewell," he stated. "Jason deserves a safe and smooth passage into the afterlife." It was decided that a funeral pyre would be made, and we would say our goodbyes.

As I watched the flames turn Jason into ash, I silently said my goodbyes. Jason, you were perhaps the strongest one out of the seven. Personally, I always thought you would be one of the three who made it to the end. I guess I was wrong. I'm sorry we didn't reach you in time. Aaron saw the mysterious figure who threw the knife, but we were too far away to do anything.

I closed my eyes, and memories of our happy days back at the Academy flashed in front of my eyes. You had so much potential, Jason. You had such a bright future. I saw how you look at Ashley, and I know for a fact that she returns the feelings. Did you get to tell her how you felt? Did you get to say goodbye? She cried so hard, Jason. So, so hard. She begged Rachel to bring you back, but Rachel couldn't. Perhaps, if Katherine was here, she could've worked her magic and maybe you could have walked the earth again. There are so many what-ifs, Jason. So many alternate endings. But we'll never know, because what's done cannot be undone.

We will find the person who threw the knife, and  we'll kill him. We will seek revenge for you. But for now, I hope that wherever you are, you are happy. I hope that the place you went to is a better one than where we are now. At least you won't have to face Lord Victor and the final battle that's bound to happen. Wherever you are, please watch over us and comfort Ashley. I'm afraid her health will fail if she keeps crying. Comfort Lucian and Aaron too, while you're at it. They miss you so much. We all miss you already, Jason. I hope that there's as much chicken drumsticks as you want in the afterlife. 

Rest in peace, Jason.

The juniper branches that made up the pyre blazed brightly. I watched as the handful of white flowers we placed on Jason slowly turned to ash.

* * * * *

In one day, we had lost two members of our group—Jason and Katherine. One was an elemental master, the other a brilliant warrior. Not to mention we lost all of our horses and had to now advance on foot, which slowed our progress significantly. We searched the surrounding area before leaving Desederium Forest for any signs of Katherine. We found nothing. I refused to believe that she was dead, or that an Evil had torn her to shreds. No. They landed from above and carried her off. Why? If they had wanted to kill her, they would have done it then and there. Why carry her away?

One of the Evils had said Lord Victor wanted one of the Destined Three. Aaron retorted that we didn't know who the Destined Three were yet. It replied that they would take the one of their choosing. Could the Evils have brought Katherine back to Lord Victor? And wouldn't that mean Katherine would be at Devil's Peak?

I voiced this thought to Aaron. He considered it a plausible idea. "I hope she's alright," he said worriedly. "They better not have laid a single finger on her. Just wait till I get my hands on those Evils!"

I placed a hand on his shoulder. "I'm sure Katherine's fine. She's the best fighter we have, and she knows how to protect herself. We'll rescue her when we arrive at Devil's Peak."