6

In a flash, he leapt up from his bed.

"Did you hear that?"

I shook my head. "Must be your imagination hun. You have had a long day."

He looked around, surprisingly alert for someone who had had just been waken up abruptly. 

Was he afraid of something? 

I tentatively touched his shoulder. "It's fine, you must have been dreaming," I whispered.

He smiled slightly, and that slow stretch of his lips made me shiver. Was this man actually not Steve?

A low, scraping noise made him give a start. He slid off the bed. 

"There is someone in the house," as he grabbed his pistol and crept towards the kitchen slowly.

I could do nothing. Feeling foolish, I followed him. He moved like a shadow. There was something feline about the way he crept into the hallway, holding the pistol firmly. But what struck me was his expression. Inexplicably, there was a fear in his eyes, something I had never seen on Steve's face.

What should I do? this is too fast... this is too fast...

"Who is there?" Steve shouted with all the authority of a cop.

Silence.

He entered the kitchen, half-crouched like predator. I stayed at the door of the hallway. The kitchen felt like a battleground, and I felt like I should not venture into it.

"I have a pistol! Don't try anything smart!" Steve hands shook a little, but the authority in his voice didn't. 

"There is nobody here, Steve..."

He shook his head slowly at me, and continued looking. A pale stream of moonlight entered the kitchen as the window curtain fluttered in a gust of wind, and he swiveled towards it. 

"The window is open!" He whispered aloud.

I feigned ignorance, trying to form a confused look on my face as well as I could. And suddenly, I saw him.

A man, crouching on the top of the upper shelves. Was that the real Steve?

In a flash, the figure jumped off from the top, landing directly on the man below and tackling him to the ground. The pistol flew out of his hands and slid towards where I was standing.

The dirty figure held him down, as an expression of pure terror flitted into the pinned man's eyes. 

"You!" 

"Give me the gun. Eva!"

I was unable to move, 

No... no... what now?

Hello there, long time no see huh?

Ya ya, I know, Ronnie is such a procrastinator. That's actually not true. I had some huge personal problems, and I was off wattpad for quite a long time. And because of that, I am behind on all my reviews and read requests, and don't even mention the book club's. Jeez, I have no idea how I am going to catch up.

Anyway, as always, consider dropping a vote if you liked it. And you know that I love constructive criticism right? Comment all suggestions and improvements, and mistakes. That's all for now, Adios.

Ronnie Debb