A Memory Lane And A Phone Call

Start from the beginning

''Why don't you ever drive?'' I ask, lifting my eyebrow.

''Because if I drive, I'd have to listen to your horrible music.'' She chuckles, and I fake a hurt look. She grins, choosing a playlist from Spotify.

We drive to the border, talking about all kinds of nonsense. We even have a karaoke sing-off, and an old lady driving next to us surely thought the two off us are crazy. But we're just young, and madly inlove.

***************************

''And this is my old house. It's so ugly from the outside.'' I cringe, but Ally's eyes are sparkling. Her eyes roam the outside brick walls of the house, almost mesmerized.

''I just love the architecture Belgium and Holland has, it's like something out of this world.'' She says, smiling broadly.

''I see that artsy side emerging.'' I wink, and she just blushes. We pull away, heading to my favourite restaurant in Hasselt.

''I don't mean to, but art and culture go hand in hand. I just love it.'' She mumbles, looking out the window.

''And I love you.'' I mimick her voice, and she just giggles. We get out of the car, walking into the restaurant. We take a table near the big window, so Ally can stare at everything going on outside. I smile as I watch my beautiful girl, unaware I'm staring at her.

''Mr Verstappen, so nice to have you again. And with a beautiful young lady I see.'' The waiter greets us, and Ally blushes furiosly.

''Thank you Charlie, it's good to be back. The usual please, for my girl as well.'' I order, and the waitron nods, smiling.

''If you ordered me snails, consider me not being your girl anymore.'' Ally threatens with a grin.

''Oh damn, too late now.'' I joke, before continuing, ''It's chocolate chip pancakes, you're safe.'' I wink at her, taking her hand over the table.

''Uh, Max... There's a girl looking our way the whole time... She looks as if she's about to kill me...'' Ally trails off, and I look behind me. Just as I turn my head, the girl gets up, marching our way.

Oh no.

''Oh, isn't this nice, already a new girl to toy with.'' Her icy voice cuts through the air.

''Roos, nice to see you again. Ally, this is Roos Van Der Aa, an old friend of mine.'' I try to explain to Ally, but Roos just scoffs.

''If you call dating friends, then we were friends.'' She looks back at Ally.

''Does Joyce know you're with her?'' She asks, hands on her hips.

''Who's Joyce?'' Ally asks, motioning Roos to slide in next to her.

''Is she really agressive, because I've already met that ex!'' Ally rolls her eyes, and Roos agrees.

''Yeah, that's Mikhaela, thank God we are rid of her!'' Roos exclaims, and Ally giggles.

''Oh I know, I don't like her at all!'' Both of the girls laugh.

''So you're not cheating on Joyce with... I'm sorry, what's your name, sweetie?'' Roos asks.

''Oh, I'm Ally.'' Ally smiles happily.

''No, Roos, I'm not. Me and Joyce broke up four months ago.'' I stare at her, realisation dawning on her.

''I'm sorry I ruined your lunch. But Joyce is like my best friend, and best friends look out for each other!'' She smiles sheepishly, giving Ally a hug before sliding out of the seat.

''If you hurt her, I will end you.'' Roos stares me down, before smiling at Ally.

''It was nice meeting you!'' And with that, she left.

Ally bursts out of laughter, leaving me speechless.

''Ally, I'm so sorry about that, I had no idea Roos was in town. I'm so so sorry.'' I say, biting my lip. But she just smiles.

''It's fine, I love meeting your exes, they make me seem less crazy.'' She says, as she looks down at her stack of pancakes.

''So, you're not upset?'' I ask cautiously.

''Do I look upset?'' She asks. Suddenly her phone rings, and her expression turns into confusion.

''It's Ben. I told him to call me on this number if there is an emergency.'' She comments before answering it.

''Hi Ben, what's up...? Wait slow down, I can't hear you. What about my mom?'' Her eyes grow wide, and I start to worry.

''Okay yeah, I'll be on the first flight tonight. Yes, stay there until I come home. Okay. I'll see you soon.'' She put down the phone, wide gray eyes looking at me.

''Max, I need to go home tonight.'' She says, barely louder than a whisper.

''Why, what's wrong?'' I take her hand, feeling that it's shaking.

''My mom is sick. Ben says she doesn't want to tell them if i'm not there. I have to go.''

''Okay let's go. I'll arrange the jet to take you, you'll be there before dark.'' I help her out to the car, her knees wobbling dangerously. We started driving as fast as we could, in solemn silence. Dark thoughts clouding my mind, as well as hers, and I could see its getting to her. The next few hours were a mess. Explaining to my mother why Ally has to leave with a tear-stained face, helping Ally pack everything with Victoria consoling her every two minutes. Speeding to the airport to get her to London for an unknown reason.

I took Ally straight to the Jet Hangar, seeing her in a zombie-like state, just staring into space. It broke my heart because I knew there was nothing I could say to make her feel better. We both get out of the car, heading to the jet.

''Call me when you get there.'' I say, hugging her as if it's the last time.

''I will. Take care of Senna until I come back.'' She whispers, and my heart breaks even more.

''I will. I love you.'' I say as she pulls away, walking to the jet.

''I love you, Max.''

She skips up the steps, and I lean back against my car, watching the jet roll away, and eventually taking off. A heavy, sad feeling sets in my stomach. Something is not right.