"I always just had this teeny crush on you, but I didn't think you'd ever go for me." I feel his arms tighten.

Him saying this racks my brain and takes me back to when I was sick at home.

Flashback (Chapter 24)

"He's not corrupting me. I'm the one who kissed him first. Besides, all he did was come by and feed me soup."

"I hope he gets sick," Hailey mumbles.

"Hailey!"

"What? How is Derek supposed to get a chance with Jordan trying to steal you away?"

I throw a pillow at her, but she's Hailey so she easily dodges it.

"Also," she holds a finger up, "you have to admit that Jordan's never noticed you before."

"But neither has Derek."

"Actually..."

"What?" What does she mean by "actually"? What is she not telling me?

"I shouldn't- "

"You can't say 'actually' and not say anything!"

"I know, but Cole- "

"You're like my best friend." Ignore the fact that's she kind of my only friend. Acquaintance just doesn't fit anymore.

Hailey stares at me surprised, but soon gets up to wrap me in a hug. I'm shocked. I've never seen her hug anyone, but here she is.

"Hailey I don't want to get you sick," I say, and she sighs. She holds me at arm's length.

"Don't worry about that dude, I never get sick."

"Don't push your luck. So tell me what do you mean? Why won't you tell me what you're talking about?"

"I've been talking a lot with Cole you know? And he's told me a couple of things, but he told me not to say anything." Her brows crease in worry.

"Thanks, but really just be careful. Wouldn't want you getting hurt."

"Same here," I smile, and she pats my shoulder before spreading out on the couch.

End of Flashback.

Maybe Cole knew something I didn't, something about Derek liking me.

"Why would you think I wouldn't like you?" I say this against his shirt, and he sighs.

"Because you liked Jordan, and well I'm not Jordan."

And obviously I'm going around thinking I'm a mysterious antisocialist when in reality everyone can read me without a second look. Even poor Derek knew I liked Jordan what the cheezits?

"You've really had a crush on me?" I feel him nod. "How long?"

There's a pause, like he's thinking or pretending to think so it doesn't seem like a creeper who keeps count, like me.

"The beginning of last year. We had homeroom, but that was pretty much the only class we've ever had together."

I think back and realize that he's right.

Sometimes in high school there are people you never get to meet even if they're in the same grade as you. He's never talked to me before, and as Jade's brother I never thought he would be this humble guy that was easy to be around. True, Jordan was more out of reach as a major popular guy but my crush for him made me actually try to get to him.

Yet, all this time here was a guy that thought he didn't have a chance with ME. That's so hard to believe, but it's so awesome too.

I really am the worst. How blind am I to have never noticed?

I lift my head and look at him.

"I wish you would have talked to me sooner." Gosh this boy. He's so cute.

"Me too."

We smile at each other, and I comb my fingers through his hair for a while.

Then, when I'm certain we're about to go back to lip games, another couple stumbles into the room with their tongues down each other's throats in what I hope is not what we looked like minutes before.

I immediately unwrap myself from Derek and stand up. Derek brushes himself off.

The guy's eyes open, and open wide when they see me. When he stops reacting to the girl's kisses, she turns to look at me too.

I could never forget that cool polished look.

It doesn't matter that I know I'm not doing anything wrong. I know I'm in trouble.

"Nice to see you Jasmine." Her tone is suspiciously nice.

"Hey." I look away. Those blue eyes are intimidating.

She turns to Derek.

"Hey baby brother."