Chapter 37

'It is very important that Duncan thinks this is his idea,' Violet says sharply as we walk down the stairs. 'And he can't think Taylor has anything to do with it. Lucas, you're going to have to get yourself into a conversation with the Prisley boys.'

'Right,' Lucas says. 'And then I mention you?'

'Right,' Violet says.

'So what do I do?' I ask.

Violet shrugs. 'Nothing. You're not really important.'

I frown, unimpressed.

When we get back down into the kitchen the four of us split. Lucas heads towards the Prisley boys and slots himself into the group and picks up a new drink. He starts chatting with one of the guys straight away, but I can see that he glances every so often at Duncan. Taylor goes over to some Landor girls and sits down to talk, but she keeps looking nervously up at Duncan as if she expects him to suddenly show everyone the photos.

Violet makes her way through the crowd towards a group of year eleven students who are standing close to the Landor senior boys.

I find Ainsley and sit down next to her.

'Where have you been?' Ainsley asks. She sounds exasperated. 'I've just been sitting here alone for ages. What were you doing? Did the Langleys find you?'

'Yes, Watson and Violet both found me,' I say. 'Did you see Watson?'

Ainsley shakes her head. 'The boys all went downstairs to sit on the road and smoke probably.'

'Well do you want to dance?' I ask, only because I want to get closer to Violet and Duncan and see what's going on. I stand up and glance back to see Ainsley is sitting there slumped.

I grab her hand and pull her up and raise my eyebrows at her.

She shrugs. 'Fine, let's dance.'

She trails me across the deck towards the speakers and as I move towards the music I start to sway my hips, but I can feel Ainsley behind me like a limp ragdoll. It's not entirely my fault that Ainsley isn't having a great time tonight, but I feel bad for abandoning her so early, and I know she probably blames me. I want to make sure she has a good time, but I also want to look out for Watson's little sister.

I can see Violet talking to a girl, but I notice that Violet keeps glancing towards the Prisley boys, and at Duncan in particular. I follow her gaze and see that Lucas has sidled up closer to him and has wedged himself into Duncan's conversation. He leans over and says something to Duncan, to which Duncan chuckles. Duncan's gaze travels over to Violet and he looks her up and down.

Lucas glances over to me and winks at me. I blush. I grab Ainsley around the waist and she eventually loosens up a bit and smiles when I dance stupidly to the song playing.

'So what happened between you and Watson?' Ainsley asks over the music.

I shake my head and say, 'I don't know. I think he's angry at me.'

'Why?' Ainsley asks.

I shake my head. 'Let's just dance.'

Over Ainsley's shoulder I watch as Violet walks innocently away from her group of year elevens and towards the table so she can pour herself another drink. Duncan says something quickly to Lucas and then pushes past him towards the table where he snatches up a bottle of vodka that Violet was reaching for.

I watch as Violet looks up at Duncan. He leans in close to her and says something, and she smiles.

I glance back at Lucas and he raises his eyebrows at me.