Chapter 4

Hilverton College is at the top of a hill, which is the last thing I need on Monday morning. I'm carrying a huge backpack full of textbooks and wearing an itchy navy skirt as I trudge up the driveway with Julian, Watson, and Watson's little sister, Violet. Julian smells like tobacco. Violet is walking while reading a thick paperback.

'Can we go to the Pantry? I need a chocolate milk and a muffin,' I say as we walk through the front gate.

'Yeah bro,' Julian says. I glance over at Watson, but he's texting and doesn't seem to have heard us.

Julian and I exchange a look and then start walking in the direction of the school tuckshop. Watson follows without looking up from his phone.

The courtyard is full of students greeting each other, catching up and talking, or lining up at the Pantry to buy breakfast. It's only eight but it's already hot. I see Ainsley at a table surrounded by fallen white flowers, under a frangipani tree. I buy a chocolate chip muffin and chocolate milk and join her at the table, dusting yellowing flowers from the seat.

I take a bite of the muffin. Ainsley is looking at it distastefully, but I can tell she wishes she had one too. I'm not offering her any. This is the perfect combination of crispy muffin top and soft, moist insides. Ainsley is missing out.

Julian and Harrison join us, and when they do I glance around the courtyard, wondering where Watson has gone.

'There,' Julian says, sensing my question. He points out Watson, who is leaning against a wall, talking to Taylor. Taylor has somehow managed to wake up early this morning and straighten her hair. I'm feeling strangely pissed off by that small detail.

I turn away from Watson and look back at Julian. 'I thought you only smoked when you drink,' I say to him.

'Yeah bro, but it's the first day of school, give me a break.'

'Good luck with that,' I say scornfully.

'Emily,' Ainsley warns. She's tearing apart the petals of a flower, not looking at me.

'Prisley incoming,' Harrison coughs.

I tense and turn around to see Duncan, Lucas and a few of the Prisley seniors walking towards us. Duncan's white uniform shirt is slightly small on him and pulls tightly over his chest and arm muscles. I narrow my eyes, glancing between Duncan and Lucas.

'Look Lukey, it's your little girlfriend,' Duncan says, shoving Lucas playfully.

'Shut up, you fag,' Lucas says.

'You know, most homophobes are hiding their own insecurities about sexuality, Luke,' I say. Julian snickers.

'Ooh, Emily the lez is sticking up for the homos now,' Duncan says. He glances over at Watson and Taylor, who are still leaning close together on the other side of the courtyard. 'Your boyfriend doesn't seem to like you anymore.'

'Are you mad because Watson is dating your ex, Duncan?' I say. 'She seems to like him a lot more than you. But anyone would.'

Duncan laughs loudly. 'You don't know the half of it. And I heard there's more stuff you Cernette people don't know.'

I glance over at Lucas, who has his arms crossed and is staring at me, displaying no emotion on his face.

'Like what?' I say, turning back to Duncan.

Duncan grins and sits down on the bench next to Ainsley, slinging an arm over her. Ainsley tenses up but looks down at the table, not moving. I grit my teeth.

A couple of the Prisley guys sit on the table. It's an assertive play.

I glance across the courtyard at Watson to see if he's noticed, but he's too busy making out with his stupid girlfriend to notice the Prisley boys harassing us.