Prologue

San Francisco is always quiet. What was once a bustling, lively city is now a closed off sector where people are afraid to lift their heads or speak up about the wrongdoings.  The New Age Institute, led by a man simply known as "the Boss", controls the city with an iron fist.  He bends to no one, so people resort to doing what it takes to survive.  In most cases, that means staying silent.  The heroes, their protectors, are gone, after all.  After the downfall of Curatrix, the surviving heroes went into hiding, and any hope of them turning up and saving them was shattered after months of silence. 

"It's over," people whisper to each other.  "They aren't coming back." 

What can normal citizens do against the NAI's super-powered villains, anyway?  They patrol the streets, and rumour has it that they can wipe out entire rebel groups in a single blow.  Those foolish enough to challenge them tell stories of how the villain's eyes glowed with pure evil as they fought and how they barely escaped with their lives.

On the outside, everything is controlled and calm, and the New Age Institute is a force to be reckoned with.  Inside, however, it's a broken sort of chaos.  

The boss glares at the men in front of him, banging his fist on the table and causing the objects on the wooden surface to rattle. "You're lying!"

"We're very sorry, sir. There's nothing we can do," one man replies, shifting from foot to foot and doing his best to avoid eye contact.

The other nods in agreement, looking just as timid. "The chemotherapy won't work anymore. The most we can do is put you under palliative care so that the last months of your life are as peaceful as possible."

"I own this city! I control every aspect of your lives, and you dare to tell me that you can't do anything!?" the boss nearly screams. "As your leader, I demand that you give me the healthcare I want without cost."

"Sir, you aren't strong enough to withstand chemo. Palliative care gives you more time and a more peaceful end of life," one doctor explains.

The boss' yellowed skin turns nearly purple with rage. "I don't want palliative care!"

The doctors cower, taking a few steps back towards the door. The boss collapses into his chair, running his hands over the head that was once covered in grey hairs and breathing heavily. The two men standing across from him glance at each other, speaking to each other with their eyes.

The silence is broken by a soft knock at the door. The three men turn towards the sound as a young man with brown hair and a mask pokes his head in. Upon seeing him, the boss scowls and turns away, while the doctors watch him with a pleading look on their countenances.

"May I speak with you two outside?" the young man in the mask asks.

The doctors nod and follow him out into the hallway. As soon as the door clicks shut, a long sigh escapes the masked man's lips. The two medical professionals glance at each other, recognizing the villain in front of them as one of the three that survived the battle of San Francisco.

"Name's Cry," he says, shaking their hands one at a time. "I'm sorry about him. The cancer is making him irritable."

"My name is Dr. McGregor, and this is my partner Dr. Williams," one of the doctors says. "Do you have any relations with him?"

"He's my father, unfortunately," Cry replies. The villain sighs. "I know he's dying, and I know that he'll do everything in his power to resist the care that's best for him. So, I'm giving you formal permission to provide palliative care despite his wishes for chemo."

Dr. Williams smiles gratefully. "Thank you. It really is the best thing for him.  I'm glad you understand."

Cry nods, his mask hiding his every emotion from the doctors in front of him. What he doesn't tell the doctors is that the only reason he wants his father alive for a longer period of time is so he doesn't have to take over this blasted institution. He doesn't tell them that under any other circumstance, he would allow his father to go through chemo even though he knows his body can't handle it.

The longer he can avoid the elephant in the room, the better. 

A/N: Welcome to the sequel!  Glad you could join us.  Enjoy!