Chapter XXVI - Reconciliations

Start from the beginning

"They did," Samira agreed. "Blatantly refused. I imagine poor Bevan will have one hell of a headache when he wakes up. I was aiming for the temple, but ... well..."

"Wait a minute, you knocked him out?" I asked incredulously.

She shrugged. "He would have attacked Yarrow, and he would have died. It was kinder in the long run."

Even Glyn made himself useful while we ran around like headless chickens. We fetched everything needed for cauterisation on Temris's instructions. I carefully undid the pauldron straps to make Fendur a little more comfortable. He just used the improved mobility to shift his weight onto his elbows, which looked exceedingly uncomfortable but a little more dignified.

"We don't need seven people for this," I pointed out quietly.

Temris nodded. "You're right. Sami, you're bleeding too, don't think I haven't noticed. Go wash that cut and keep an eye on the boy you knocked out. Glyn..."

He didn't need to finish. The boy was scampering away from him as fast as humanly possible. For a moment, Temris stared after his brother, a pained look in his eyes which exceeded even Fendur's. It took him a heartbeat to set his face back into the usual smug smile.

"Anlai can leave too," Fendur groaned through gritted teeth. "I don't want him anywhere near me when I'm injured."

It was likely meant as a joke, but Anlai cheerfully slapped him on the unharmed shoulder and took his leave without further ado. At a slight nod from me, Melia followed as well. No doubt she would want some time with her husband after the battle. Colloe took up his usual guard station outside the entrance, leaving Temris and me with an injured overgrown child.

"Shouldn't he be with - I don't know - a professional?" I asked innocently.

Fendur sighed, then winced in quick succession. "Med tents will be swarming at the moment. I chose speed over skill."

"This isn't my first arrow extraction," Temris assured me. "The trick is sounding like you know what you're doing. Just heat the knife over the candle, watch and learn."

The young Iyrak readjusted his position for the final time. "Well, get it over with then."

I hovered at his shoulder, waving my knife through a candle flame until the heat seared my fingers. Temris was holding the snapped half of the arrow shaft in one hand and a small knife in the other. The points were often barbed, which would make the next part messy.

"This is going to hurt," Temris said bluntly. "On the count of three. One."

"No shit," Fendur laughed. "He's about to pull a sharp piece of metal out of my flesh, and he thinks I don't know it's going to bloody well-"

The rest of the sentence disintegrated into an incoherent curse as Temris yanked without warning. In one swift motion, I pressed the hot blade to the open wound. A disturbing hiss and the smell of burning flesh filled the air before Temris tapped my arm and nodded.

"There you go," Temris grinned. "All done. Second lesson, Lyra - never give them a chance to tense up. It makes it twice as messy."

"What other knowledge do you have to impart, o' wise one?"

"Last not least, always lie to the patient. If they are going to die, pretend otherwise. It's comforting for them, and far less annoying for you."

"Aren't you a bundle of joy?" I snorted.

Fendur sat up stiffly, swearing under his breath. He said, "You know, Ragnyr, as your current patient, I'm feeling moderately betrayed. I seem to remember you assuring me the arrow wasn't very deep at all. My shoulder is currently saying something very different. Did you know the whole time?"