22. Bittersweet

Music was playing. Where was the music coming from, it was two a.m.? 
      Her phone. 
June opened her eyes a slit and felt around her bed for her phone.  Where was it and why wasn't the ringing stopping.
    She finally found it and squinted at the bright screen light, picking up without even checking caller id. 
       "Hello?"
"June, hey"
    She suddenly sat up in bed and pushed her hair out of her face. Her heart was suddenly racing and she felt tingles all over her body. Amazing what one person's voice could do to her.
    "Beck"
       It has been four weeks. Four weeks of walking past each other in the hallways and pretending they didn't know each other. Four weeks of sitting uncomfortably next to each other for fourty five minutes everyday in English class and thirty more minutes of agony at lunch, and endless cheer practices with Paula talking about her perfect relationship and June trying to be casual about it and ignoring Racheals stare. Four of the worst weeks of her night. 
    The silver lining was that her friendship with Paula was somehow saved. There were times that it felt awkward. Like whenever Paula mentioned Beck, but they were working through it, and June felt happy with how things were turning out.
      "Sorry, i know it's late but I didn't know who else to call"
    "Beck what is it?"
"My mom"

○○○
     June walked into the emergency waiting room of the hospital and spotted Beck immidiately, leaning against a wall with his arms folded against his chest, his face hidden behind his umcombed hair.
    He looked up just as she walked in and started towards her, wrapping his arms around her as soon as she was close enough. 
    She hugged him back and she felt him relax against her.  They stayed that way for a long while, I'm each others arms because there was no better place to be.
     He finally pulled away and June searched his face for any indication of how he was feeling.
    "How is she" June asked and Beck gave a sad smile.
     "She's alive,  but the doctors said she wouldn't last long, could be days, hours even"
    "Oh Beck" June said hugging him back. She could only imagine what he was going through,  to lose both parents.
     "I walked into her room and saw her just lying there" he said "I'm sorry for calling so late, i just, you were the first person i thought to call"
    "It's fine" June said "I'm glad you called me"
"The doctor said he would let me know as soon as she can receive visitors" he said "I already called my uncle but he's in France, he won't be here till tomorrow afternoon, i thought he would like to be around when..." he trailed off and June led him to the nearest seat.
     "Thank you, again" Beck said with a small smile. "I know you have school tomorrow"
    "If I go" June smiled.
"I hate going to school" Beck said taking her hand in his "because it means I will see you and I won't be able to touch you"
    "Beck don't talk like this" June said.
"It's true" Beck said "I love you"
      June was saved from replying because the doctor came out then to tell Beck his mother was awake and asking for him.
     "We've done our best" the doctor said "but..."
"Thank you" Beck replied. Then turning to June he said "time to say goodbye to my mom"
    He stood and was halfway down the corridor when June suddenly stood and called after him.
    He turned and she ran into his arms and kissed him like how she had been dying to for the past month.
     He kissed her back with such passion,  holding her to him like he was scared to let go of her.
      She wasn't sure how long they stood there. When she finally pulled away she gave a small smile and he used his thumb to push the hair away from her face
   "I love you" she said, staring into his eyes and she knew with no conviction that she meant it, all three words.
      "I love you too June Lockway. More than you would ever know"
    "I don't want to ever let you go" she whispered to him and he placed a kiss on her forehead.
     "I never will" he said. June smiled as she let go of him.
      "Your mother is waiting" she said and he finally let go of her and walked down the rest of the corridor and  into Lucy's room.
    June watched him till he was gone and then she turned and just in time to see a flash of red hair as the hospital door slammed shut. Paula.