11. I now pronounce you friends

During first period, june was almost too happy to see Beck sitting in his usual seat. She smiled at him and he smiled back.
"Someone looks pretty today" he said the second she sat down and she felt her cheeks turn red. It was true, she had taken extra time to get dressed today, and she was extreamly glad he noticed her effort.
"I mean, took forever with the curling iron but we pulled through" she said with a little laugh.
The bell went then and miss Hale headed to the front of the class
"Okay class, quiet down" she said practically to herself.
"We are starting a new theme today, anyone who read thier chapter preview should know this, anyone?"
Some girl in front rose her hand "metamorphosis" she answerd and miss. Hale seemed genuinely glad that someone at least was paying attention.
"Wonderful, we Will be reading a short story called the metamorphosis by Franz Kafka, you should all be familiar with it, you did it last year"
"So why are we doing it again? " June asked and the whole classed laughed, a little too much actually.
"Because, Miss Lockway there is a lot to learn from this story." Then she adressed the rest of the class.
"We will be discussing change and how people 'metamorph' into what they are not, I want you to read the whole story and I expect a three page essay on what you think the change is, in your own words, and what you understand from it, I want to hear what you all think about it before I go into it"
The whole class groaned at her words, but she was unshaken in her ways. "I expect it on my desk first thing Monday morning"
She went on and on about Kafka and all the great things he did for literature and June zoned out seconds later.
Someone poked her and she turned to see Beck looking at her, he passed her a piece of paper. There was a really ugly drawing of a girl with way too large lips and a perfectly round head. Below the picture he had written 'june'
"Real mature Beck" she said, rolling the paper into a ball and throwing it at him. He smiled back at her.
"Romeo, Juliet, care to share with the class what is so funny?" MIss Hale asked and thier silence seemed to make her even more angry.
"Well then, you can talk about it more during detention" she said
"But I have cheer practice" June told her
"And I don't care" Miss Hale said "now be quiet before i make it a whole week."
She leaned back in her chair with an annoyed look on her face. Just what she needed right now.

****
Her car wouldn't start, June stood staring at her unresponsive vehicle. Really?
She stood there for the longest time just staring at the car, she had to get to school, and fast, not because she wanted to actually be there but because she wasn't a fan of staying all alone in her house for the whole day.
Not today anyways.
So she did the first thing she could think of and dailed Paula.
"Calling me this early, you better have a good reason" she said into the phone.
"My car wouldn't come on, I need a ride" she said.
"I'm already at school" Paula replied "James and I had to come early to finish our project, it's due today, I'll call Beck to come pick you up, that's fine with you right? "
"Yeah, that's fine" she said "super, thanks, you're the best"
"I know" Paula replied and hung up. Twelve minutes later Beck pulled up to her driveway and she got in happily.
"How are you" she asked
"I'm fine, so she died on you? " he asked
"Yeah, just wouldn't start" she shook her head. "Dumb technology"
"So do you have a ride back home? " he asked "because I have work"
"Uhm, I'll figure something out" she said
"Or you could come to the cafe with me and then I'll drop you off home right after" he said with a smile.
"Yeah sure"

****

They walked into the cafè after school and the bell jingled above her head. She smiled, like she always said, it never got old.
"Smelles so good in here" June said with a broad smile. "Good thing I'm off my diet! "
"Well sweetheart, more than enough to share"
June looked up in surprise. She hadn't even noticed the pretty woman behind the counter.
"I love pie" June said eying the large pie on the counter.
"Arent you cute" the woman smiled. "Is this your girlfriend?" She asked Beck and June turned red at the question.
"Damn mom" he laughed "you're going to scare her away, this is June, june meet my mom, Lucy."
"So nice to meet you" June smiled at her. "I've heard so many nice things about you"
"Same goes for me" Lucy smiled at her "Beck can't just shut up about you"
"Really mom" Beck said, rubbing behind his neck at her words.
"What, I like meeting your friends, especially if they are girls, and pretty too"
June took an immediate liking to Lucy. She was a little too thin but she looked really pretty with laugh lines around her eyes. There was something warm about them.
"Im glad you're here Beck" she said "I need a break right about now, june and I can talk about girl stuff" she turned and smiled at June and June smiled back at her.
Lucy took a knife and cut two large slices of pie and walked over to a side table. "Come join me sweetheart" she said with a smile "and Beck can bring us tea"
June took a seat next to Lucy.
"I'm not bringing you tea, I'm busy" Beck protested
"No you aren't" Lucy replied her son "there is hardly anyone here"
She laughed about it but June could tell she was saddened by the fact.
"I guess this place just isn't good for business" she told June "people just don't like to drink tea anymore."
"Or maybe they need inspiration to drink tea, a motive for it"
"A smart one" Lucy said "does my boy know how to pick them or what?"
June laughed "Beck and I are just friends" she felt the need to add.
"Sure you are, that's how they all start"
June laughed. "I have a boyfriend, and he has a girlfriend"
"So he keeps telling me" Lucy said "and yet I've never met her, is she as pretty as you? "
"Prettier" June said thinking of petit Paula with her fiery red hair and dimples and winning smile. "Way prettier"
"Youre too humble sweetheart, you're gorgeous" Lucy said with so much seriousness.
"The first time Beck mentioned you was last year i think, I'm not sure we were in Paris then, and he walked in with a goofy smile on his face and he said "i just met the most beautiful girl in the world, and she let me talk to her"
I was so happy for him, it was hard with his dad and everything, and when we got the call that he... " and then she trailed off because she was probably getting emotional thinking about her late husband.
June was placed in an uncomfortable situation wondering what to say to her but Beck walked up that second with the tea, except he had three cups with him.
He pulled up a seat and sat with them.
"So what are you ladies talking about? " he asked
"You" Lucy said "June was telling me all the things she loves about you"
June felt her jaw drop and Lucy laughed out loud.
"Go on then june" Beck said elbowing her lightly "tell us, I am dying to know"
"Shut up, I was doing no such thing" she said elbowing him back. "Your mother was telling me how hard it was raising you"
Lucy laughed. "You're right June, he was something"
They talked and laughed about everything and nothing and when a customer finally came in Beck rose to go attend to him.
"You know what would be awesome here?" June asked "if you had like an open Mic here every night, or at least twice a week, it would draw a lot of People out here, plus a lot of desperate musicians, plus it's right in the middle from the college and the high school so you have a wide audience"
Lucy looked really thoughtful. "You're so smart!" She said, snapping her fingers.
"Not really" June smiled "it's just because I'm the same age as your customers, I know what we like" she gave a wink, just to be silly
"Beck is your age and he has never come up with anything" she said just as Beck walked back towards them.
"Really mom, I'm your son you're meant to be supporting me! " he said.
"Its getting late I need to take June home, you can handle things here on your own right? " he asked his mother.
"Yeah, I think I'll just lock up" she said rising.
"And it was such a pleasure meeting you June, I hope you come back soon okay?"
June nodded yes, she would definately be back.
"It was nice meeting you too" June said giving Lucy a warm hug. She really liked this woman she realised and she felt close to her even after just one meeting, closer to her than her own mother even"