"You okay?" I asked quietly, holding Filly so tightly against me that her stitches threatened to pop.

Ace shrugged and nodded, "Yeah. I'll be okay."

"You sure?" I wondered.

He dropped his hands into his lap and flashed me a dazzling smile that any eight year old would be jealous of, "Of course. Have I ever lied to you before?"

Ace was sweet. Since the day I met him it's been nothing but smiles and games and fun. But mixed in with all that laughter were days of pain as well. There were times when Ace came to visit me so beat up, he could barely stand. Other days, like today, I was just thankful he was still breathing.

That monster shouldn't be able to do this to him. I've told my parents about it, and the pastor during Sunday School. Why wouldn't anyone listen to me?

"He shouldn't do that to you." I said stubbornly, crossing my boney arms with Filly now dangling from one hand. She understood me at least. She was just as mad about this as I was and if she could move on her own, she'd help me for sure.

Ace only shrugged again, "It's okay. I can take it."

"That's not the point." I argued.

He laughed at me, pushing himself into the air as his seat swung back and forth, "You're kinda bossy."

I huffed at him and pushed off the ground as well. I may be bossy but I definitely wasn't a loser, so I had to swing higher than him. Ace caught on fast though, recognizing the look of determination in my eyes.

We had a bet to see who could swing in a full circle, all the way around, first. Ace says it'll be him but I think I can beat him. I'm smaller than him, I can move faster. Well sometimes. Ace always moves faster than me in tag, I never get him. But sometimes, if he sees me getting tired of chasing, he lets me tag him. Like I said, he's always been sweet.

I went higher, Ace went higher. Gravity became my momentum, air became my partner. I flew forwards, then backwards, then forwards again. If I held on just right, my body became parallel to the ground. My stomach flipped, the sky neared, and for this single moment, all was good in the world.

Then I heard that voice, and suddenly it didn't feel like I was flying.

It felt like I was falling.

Ace came to a sudden stop beside me as his father stormed towards us. I stopped too, clutching Filly tightly to keep my hands from shaking. Ace stood from the swing, his arms braced outward as if that could stop this monster, "What did I do?"

"How am I supposed to enjoy my nap when I know you're running around town causing a ruckus." His father thundered as he neared, his footsteps seemingly caused the ground to tremble beneath my feet. I shied further bath, hugging Filly as though she could stop this.

The monster grabbed Ace's upper arm, shaking him violently, "You don't have an answer, you little shit?"

Ace's voice shook when he spoke, "I thought it'd be better to be out of the house. So you wouldn't have to worry about me."

"Well I do worry. You cause trouble." The monster roared, bringing his hand up high and smacking it against Ace's cheek so hard that his whole body flew sideways. My eyes went wide, my mouth fell open, and anger boiled in my belly at seeing my best friend laying on the floor with a hand shaped welt on his cheek.