Chapter Seventeen

Sorry for the wait, but I was really busy this week, and I probably will be again this week :'( anyways, I think you'll like this chapter, but you tell me. This one's dedicated to LoHeartsYou for taking the time to drop me a message about how much she liked the first book, which was really sweet <3 so thank you for reading :D

*********************************************************************************************************** 

     ‘Are you serious Michael?’ Debby choked. ‘Rose petals?’ She was still kind of laughing, her cheeks flushed and her eyes bright.

     Michael shuffled his feet awkwardly, and rubbed the back of his neck. ‘It was Beth,’ he explained. ‘There were actually candles as well, but I put them away.’ He was completely aware that telling her there had been candles defeated the point of having put them away, but he couldn’t help himself- the words just came out.

     ‘So I take it Beth is playing cupid again?’ she said, moving further into the room, her feet disturbing the petals and leaving trails of cream coloured carpet exposed behind her.

     ‘Again? So you remember the trick she played last time to get us together too?’ he asked. He sat down on the floor, running his hands through the petals.

     ‘You mean disappearing on the way home from the beach?’ she said. ‘Of course I remember.’ She sat down on the coffee table and looked around the room. ‘The roses are pretty impressive though,’ she remarked.

     ‘Did you ever find out where she went?’ he wondered, taking his eyes off the rose petals in the palm of his hand to look at her.

     ‘I never asked,’ she admitted. ‘That was when we started going out. When she came home I was too excited about that to think to ask.’

     Michael nodded, not taking his eyes off of her. ‘So what now?’ he asked.

     ‘What do you mean?’ she said, shrugging her shoulders. She knew what he was talking about, but she asked anyway.

     ‘Well you’ve broken up with Alfie. The reason Beth did all this is because she expects us to get back together now that you guys are over. So does Blake, and Dee, and your mother, and Rob and probably my mother too and my dad and your friends and probably Alfie too-‘

     ‘Alright, alright, I get the hint,’ she cried, raising her hands in the air. ‘But it’s not that simple.’

     ‘Is it? Or do you just not want it to be?’ he pointed out. ‘If we’re gonna do this it’s now or never, I mean you do want to be with me, don’t you?’

     ‘Of course I do Michael, I mean it’s… you,’ she sighed. ‘I’m just worried it won’t work.’

     ‘Why not?’ he asked adamantly. Though only a few minutes ago he had been paranoid at the whole idea of being with Debby again, now he could see absolutely nothing wrong with the plan. ‘We didn’t have a single argument last time.’

     ‘Yes, but you have to think rationally this time,’ she told him. ‘We didn’t have a single argument because we knew it was going to end with the summer, so we didn’t have to think about the future. We also, weren’t having a completely serious, grown up relationship. I mean we only had sex that one time, when we were drunk, and I don’t even remember it.’

     Michael coughed awkwardly. That night had only ever brought him inner turmoil from the beginning. It was what had really set Beth and Debby against each other. Before hand, Beth had told Debby to “let herself go” and she certainly had. Debby blamed Beth for the fact that she couldn’t even remember losing her virginity and they’d had several big arguments about it. Thankfully, they seemed to have put it behind them now.