Chapter 48 - Til' Death Do Us Part

I'd been staying at my moms house with the boys for a few days now, because I didn't want to have to deal with Jonathan.

He'd been calling me constantly, and refused to stop bombarding my phone with text messages apologising. It was the same old cycle just on a different day. The messages started off threatening at first, him claiming I kidnapped his children and him threatening to hunt me down. Then he admitted to cheating, something I already suspected. But he wanted me to respond, he wanted a reaction out of me that I would never give him. Now we were back at the apologising stage. I knew sooner or later he would show up looking for me in person, and the first place he would really look is at my mother's house. I never picked up or responded to any of his messages.

My mom knew something was wrong, but I didn't know how to bring up the whole situation to my mom without her declaring war. My mom was bouncing Kane, whilst I rocked Kaleb in his baby bouncer on the kitchen counter. Logan was wreaking havoc going through my mom's cupboards banging pots, but secretly I knew my mom loved clearing up after him.

"So... What's been going on with you then?"

"It's been tiring running around after the boys. I'm looking for a daycare centre for Logan for when I go back to work. I know it's like another what, nine months away, but there's no harm in looking now right?The twins are a handful, but I've been coping-"

"Let me rephrase my question... Why are you basically moving back in here? I mean, I love having you guys around and all that, but...I asked how were you, and you went on this tangent about your kids. I know you love your babies, but I love mine too. So tell me, honestly, what's going on with you?" My mom, not one to beat around the bush.

I almost had a panic attack on my moms kitchen stool. I'd been waiting for her to ask me why I'd brought five suitcases over to her house, and now I was petrified to answer. She deserved an explanation, one I was too scared to give.

"Me and Jonathan... We've split up... We're like, not together anymore."

"Oh my God, since when!?"

"Since a few days ago." My throat felt like it was closing up on me as I tried to fight the tears and pretend that I was okay.

"Why? What the hell happened?"

"He- he hit me."

My mom was silent, the only noise you could hear was Kane's gargling, everything else was silent. I expected her to completely lose her mind as her and Dani were very similar in character and how they responded to situations. I honestly just wanted to cry. I'd been holding it all in because I didn't want to cry in front of my children, I felt like it would be a sign of weakness. Yes, Jonathan hit me. But, other women out there had it worse than me. At least I was able to pack up my kids and my belongings and leave. I'd overcome this. I would eventually overcome this. That's why I hadn't broke down yet. That's what I'd been telling myself.

"I knew it." My mom stated and my tears threatened to make a cameo. My throat was tightening up in pain.

"You did?"

"I knew you was, or better yet, he was hiding something as serious as that."

I didn't respond.

"So what do you plan to do now? He'll come looking for you, no? He'll want to see his kids. Will you get a divorce? I mean I tried to tell you he was no good. You've just had the twins, how are you going to cope financially on your maternity pay? I mean-"