25

drunk dancing
——————————————————
My head shot up and I peered around my room. Homework and textbooks covered my bed from last night and I sighed, gathering them up before tossing them in my backpack. Once I'd finished, my head collided with a pillow  again as I thought about the plans I had this weekend, which turned out to be zero.

*BUZZ*

Suddenly, my phone vibrated and I rolled over to read any notifications I'd gained overnight.

dylan😍: nessa! ur going to be my +1 to layla's party tonight, cancel any plans u have because ur coming idc

I smiled at Dylan's text, especially once I saw the word 'party' because I hadn't been to one in ages. This would be the perfect opportunity to loosen up and forget about anything going on in my mind, especially Carl.

me: plans where? ofc i'll be there, i really need a fucking drink rbn

Once I'd texted him back, I strolled over to my closet and pulled out some random clothes, slipping into them. With my backback slung over one shoulder and my sneakers laced up, I left for school, hoping the 6 hours would fly by so we could get straight to the free booze and music. As I arrived through the main gates, all I could hear were conversations about the party. Girls were exchanging outfit ideas and guys were naming people they'd be shagging later.

I kept my head down and headed to class, where the gossip continued as I overheard two girls who were sat in front of me during first period. "I heard that Gallagher kid is going tonight. He's hot, single and ready-to-mingle." One of them giggled and I rolled my eyes. "Finally! I've been waiting for that Vanessa bitch to back off for ages now." The other replied which caused me to lean forward, tapping them both on the shoulder. "You know, I can hear everything you're saying." My laugh was filled with sarcasm and I flashed them a fake smile, watching as they glanced at eachother with their lips pulled between their teeth. "And his name is Carl. It's such a turnoff when someone moans the wrong name during sex, don't you think?"

I leaned back in my chair and smirked as the girls stopped talking and turned to face the teacher. 'Good luck to them..' I thought, 'They won't last two seconds.'

[later on]

My fingers smoothed out the creases in my dress as Dylan and I approached Layla's front door. His arm snaked around my waist once we entered the house, instantly being engulfed in a crowd of familiar faces from school. "Do you want a drink?" He yelled over the music and I nodded, allowing him to lead me towards the kitchen. Instead of taking a cup, my hand reached for one of the vodka bottles and, once Dylan had poured something for himself, we ventured into the living room where the speakers were.

Kendrick Lamar filled the room and I took sips from the bottle inbetween verses, jumping around goofily with Dylan. During DUCKWORTH, we pretended to slow dance and that ended in a fits of laughter, gaining odd stares from the people around us. As Bryson Tiller took over, I felt two hands on my hips which caused a smile to break out on my face, assuming it was Dyl. We rocked to the beat for a while and he rested his head on my shoulder but I froze once I felt long hair tickling my neck.

"Carl, what did I tell you?" I frowned at the boy stood in front of me, my arms crossed against my chest. He tried to dance with me again but I shook my head and walked towards the backyard, pulling a box of cigarettes out of my purse. "Wait!" I heard him shout from the doorway, followed by his footsteps galloping across the lawn. "Can we please patch things up before I go? It would kill me to leave you on bad terms." My brows furrowed and I turned to face him. "Where are you going? Did you get busted by the cops again?" I took a drag of my cigarette and watched him shake his head, a confused expression on his face. "You didn't hear? I'm going to military school."

My heart sank as I heard the news but I tried to cover it up by inhaling more smoke. "Why? And how the fuck are you paying for all of this?" He rubbed the back of his neck, trying to come up with some answers. "Well, I'm going because it's a dead end here. I don't wanna work in a laundromat my whole life and end up like Frank. The only thing keeping me here was you and look where that went. And to answer your other question, I got a scholarship so I don't have to pay a penny."

"When are you going?" I kept firing questions at him to mask my disappointment but my voice started to crack. "Tuesday, meaning I only have a few days to make everything right between us." I stood still for a moment, not knowing what to say or do. Suddenly, I felt my arms wrapping around him, embracing him in a long, tight hug. My eyes glossed over with unexpected tears and soon, they'd created small wet spots on his shirt. "Hey, it's okay." He whispered into my hair as his arms tightened around me. "I'll have my phone so we can call or text and I'll be back at the end of each semester to visit."

I chuckled to myself before pulling away and wiping my tears. "I'm sorry, I don't even know why I'm crying. I'm meant to be mad at you because you've been a massive jerk. Get a grip Vanessa!" I scolded myself which caused Carl to laugh. "I know, I'm the biggest jerk in the Chicago. But I'm moving halfway across the country to be the biggest jerk over there so can you at least act like you forgive me? Just for these few days? It would make me feel so much better."

After a moment of thought, I gave in and nodded. "Fine, I'll be nice to you until you leave." His face lit up and he hugged me again, lifting me off the ground and swinging me about. "Thank you!" He squealed before setting me down again. "Now let's get back to this party, I'm not even tipsy yet." I burst into laughter and took Carl's hand, letting him drag me back inside. I may have let down my guard again but this time it would be worth it. Hopefully...

[end of chapter]

howdy y'all,, this book will be over in a couple chapters but guess what! the sequel is already up so you can get more Carnessa (i tried to make a ship name but it FLOPPED) action,,
adios 💘