Nothing's Ever Easy ~Chapter 27

Beginne am Anfang

“It was an honest mistake.” Claire said moving to sit next to me on the bed. “Travis and Brock were together, it’s different.”

“That’s what you say, Claire.” I sighed. “Travis- he means so much to me. We went from cussing each other in the hallways to him being the most important person in my life, apart from you. I feel like a part of me is missing. I hate being this weak but who else can I tell? I’ve never wanted, needed anything so bad as I need him.”

“You can tell him.” She suggested.

“I’ve tried, more than once just in case you’ve forgotten.” I shook my head.

“You know how he feels, the ball’s in your court now.” She said. “Go to him and tell him everything that you just told me.”

“I don’t know where he stays.” I admitted.

“Luckily I’m still good friends with Evelyn.” She said and handed me a piece of paper with an address on it.

“You were expecting this.” I said.

“It had to happen sometime. I thought that it was better to be prepared.” She shrugged. She stood up and hugged me. “Go get him.”

I scoffed but gave her a look that conveyed my thanks. I watched as she left the room then promptly got up searching my room for my phone’s charger and a clean T-shirt to wear. Two hours in a car would not to well for me if I was nervously sweating the entire ride there.

The ride gave me a lot of time and space to think. I would frown and then suddenly light up with an idea that had formed then be reduced back to nothing after I figured that it wouldn’t work.

I thought of buying a gift or at least a bouquet of flowers for Travis but he wouldn’t like that. He’d throw it back in my face saying that I was attempting to buy his affection. Sometimes he was so difficult.

I couldn’t understand how fucked up fate was. It put me in one position the first minute then sent a truck to come crashing into me in the next, figuratively speaking, of course.

Just over two house later I turned down a road that hardly had anything on it except trees that formed a border-like scene at the sides of the road. It looked rather hypnotising. I had almost forgotten to make a quick left turn.

I pulled up in front of a large black gate. I sighed when I saw that the place was obviously guarded. God, a person would think that someone famous lived here.

I pressed the button on the intercom and heard an older man ask in the most bored tone, “Yes? Can I help you?”

Touchy guy. “Uh, I’m a friend of Travis’. My name’s Landon Baxter.”

“I’ll notify Mr. Dawn that you are here.”

“No don’t!” I said quickly. “Please don’t call Travis. I could talk to Evelyn instead.”

“I’ll call her out but I can’t let you in. She’ll be able to tell me whether you can come on the premises.” He said unapologetically.

“Okay fine.” I finally agreed.

I didn’t have to wait long. A few minutes later I saw a figure walking quickly towards me. Evelyn waved when she saw me and I gave a small wave back.

“Landon.” She said as she approached the car from a side gate. “How did you find out where we live?”

“I’m sure you know.” I smirked. “Can you let me in please? I really need to talk to Travis.”

“Is it because of what I think it is?” She asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Depends if we’re thinking the same thing.” I sighed. “Evelyn, I really do need to speak to him. It can’t wait.”