Chapter Thirty-One: Atychiphobia - Fear of Failure

Start from the beginning

            "Don't sell yourself short, kid," Ajay stared warily at me.

            "I'm older than you, kid," I rolled my eyes.

            "You are?"

            "Oh yeah?"

            "Yes," I glared.

            "You have any memories of the last couple of years?"

            "Um, no..."

            "Then your mentally eighteen, therefore we're the same age."

            I closed my mouth and stared upwards, annoyed, "I hate you."

            He shrugged, but I could tell he was smirking, seemingly amused by it.  I stared at my hands, trying to calm myself and bit my lip in an effort to erase the thought that had been tormenting my head at constant, but it escaped, without much fight on my behalf it seemed, "Am I Adrian's type of boyfriend?"

            Ajay looked at me, and slowly nods, "I would think so, you two are dating."

            "Are we?" I asked him, actually maybe no.  Maybe I was asking myself.  I didn't know if Adrian and I were actually, truly.

            Ajay looked nervous and he stares in front of him and takes a drink of a yellowish substance that was in his crystal glass, "Yes, why?"

            "Because I think we're in the relationship, but he acts like he's repulsed by me."

            Ajay snorted out whatever he had been drinking and turned his whole body and smiled, "Repulsed?  You're kidding me, right?"  I shake my head no, confused.  "Adrian is madly in love with you, so mad that he's like a alpha male on a leach only an inch away from a bitch in heat."

            My lip twitched, "Ew."

            He rolled his eyes, "I've seen the way he stares at you.  I remember Simon, and not even when Simon was in the room had Adrian seem ever stared at him like he stares at you.  If anything he's holding himself back."

            "Why would he do that?"

            Ajay seemed sad but it faded away before I could make a mark of it, "Because he wants you to want him the way he wants you.

            "Why?"

            "Because he's a gentleman.  Well, and a idiot, too, but..." he saw me staring at him in disbelief, "Why yourself?  Why are you...?"  I blushed.  He smiled, "Never mind, but don't worry yourself, he loves you and wants you.  He's just waiting for you."

            I nodded and turned around and saw Adrian working around the shop, moving things around.  I stared at him a moment too long it seemed when he turned around and saw my stare, and then he smiled.  And within that, I realized Ajay wasn't lying.

***

"What were you and Ajay talking about today?"  Adrian brought up casually as he brought sheets and pillows to the couch.  After a long argument, I brought him to understand that if I'm staying at his apartment and he's insisting we don't sleep in the same bed, that I slept on the couch, not him.

            "About our relationship," I told him honestly.

            Adrian stood up rigidly and sighed, "Can you do me a favor and the next time he butts into our relationship that you smack him in the face?"