Chapter 2: Night Shift

“Welcome to our annual summit, where we get in touch with all newbies and introduce them to our ways and our culture...”

Brian touched my hand and I looked at him, “When did you find out you were different?”

“Different?”

“Yeah, you know… that you were one of us. A werewolf.

“A what!? I don’t know what you’re talking about, this guy came to my mum last month and told my her that she should send me here tonight and for some reason she agreed and I thought it was weird, because she never lets me go anywhere and just like that she agrees with a stranger to let me come to this summit.” I babbled.

“Oh. You didn’t know, this is the werewolf summit, where you will learn how to adapt to your changes.”

“What changes? I haven’t had any. At least not yet and I’m not even sure if what you’re saying is real.”

“It is… Trust me.”

“What do you mean?”

“I have been shifting since I was 12 and it’s still not easy.”

“Shifting? That’s when you transform right?”

“Yeah, you’ll do it too.”

I looked at the platform where the guy with the microphone was speaking from and there he was; the same guy that came to my mum. Between seeing him and thinking this dude next to me was 9 flavours of crazy, I was in pure disbelief of the whole dang thing.

“That’s my father.”

I raised my eyebrows, “Which one?”

“The man who’s sitting there on the left side.”

“That’s the guy who came to my mum.”

“Really? That means he scouted you. You must have potential if he went to your mother personally.”

“Okay...”

I found that kind of weird but he was hot so I let that slide, anyways scouted me? What am I a soldier, or a model or something? There were 4 men up on the platform and they all looked tough, like no one would ever think of pissing them off kind of tough. The guy with the mic kept on talking.

“For those who don’t know us, I’m Mark Salazar, to my left,” The guy who visited my mum, “is John Thundra, at my right is Simon Steppe and next to him is Alan Mitz. We are the heads of the 4 packs in our community, tonight is when fate will place you in one of our packs, depending on your abilities, imprints or if one of us has discovered you.”

I’m thinking, yayy I’m with Brian McHotty! Trying not to ignore what was being said I snapped back to the lecture. Which by the way; was kind of interesting.

“Despite what you hear or watch in movies and read in books, werewolves are not harmed by silver, only turned by being bitten, or only made to shift at the full moon, though it is when we like to gather. You cannot be turned by being bitten, that my friend is a hoax, plus we tend to stay away from hunting humans.” He laughed, “That was supposed to be a joke, no one’s laughing? Hmph, okay. We are born with these abilities but they only surface when our bodies are ready for the change. We can control our shifts and part of being here is where you will learn about all of that. You will be paired up with someone who can guide you and help you to control your shifts and keep you from harming humans, not to mention your own families. Now the first time you shift is compulsory and it is painful, but, there’s nothing you can do to stop it. However, the next time you will be able to control it, and the pain gets weaker over time.”

My head started pounding and all the bones in my body started aching. I started to scream in pain. My clothing tore open as silver grey fur started to come out all over my body. I heard other people around me screaming too, all of us were shifting. Because we, the noobs were morphing, the experienced people, I think I’ll call them that; shifted too.

“This is the initial change, right now we are communicating through telepathy, an ability we all have. We all shifted to be able control you in case anything goes wrong…”

The talking stopped, and again all eyes were on me. Everyone stared at me wide eyed and amazed.

“Well what do have we here? A silver wolf with the signature markings of The Princess and two tails, I’ll be damned; never in my life would I have dreamed of seeing you returned. This is prophesized to happen once every 250 years.”

They all bowed their heads to me, I had mixed feelings, I was smiling because I was flattered but confused and scared because I had no idea what was going to happen, plus I thought they were bowing at someone behind me perhaps, so I shook the feeling of pride and bowed too.

Two other wolves came up to me, the older one had dark brown fur with light brown highlights and the younger one had chestnut fur with auburn highlights and some very interesting markings, with a dark tourmaline coloured crescent moon on his forehead that glowed like a stone.

“I found her, she has no idea what’s going on but I could sense her strength for years.”

“How come I’ve never sensed her?”

“You wouldn’t because Thundra is her home.”

“We still don’t know where she will belong, she hasn’t imprinted yet.”

“Well, let’s start.”

“Fine, let’s do it.”

What the hell? I’m in shock, happy, disbelief!