I nodded slowly, although I made a face. "The teacher once told us that boys usually tried to protect girls, and that they did the dangerous work, which was why most of the Raiders were men. She also told us that women shouldn't leave the fence since it was too dangerous." That more or less matched exactly what Jason had said – and I didn't agree with either him or the teacher.

Diane frowned slightly at my reply, as if she didn't like it either. "Some people may think that way, but not everyone. Half of the people in Matthew's Foraging group and Dave's Trading group were women."

"That is what I told her."

"And what did she say?"

"She didn't reply." I grinned as Diane's lips twitched in a smirk.

I still found it strange that the women there wanted to stay and keep dressing up in costumes when they probably couldn't go outside the palisade. In a confused voice, I asked, "Why did those women say they were queens with the men trying to do things for them?"

"Not too sure. My guess is that several of the men wanted to be their boyfriends and were trying to make the women like them the most."

I blinked blankly at her somewhat evasive response, before slowly realizing that all of the Disney princesses had all ended up with boyfriends. Had they dressed up to try and let them know that they wanted a boyfriend?

I couldn't wrap my head around it – it just made my head hurt. I shook my head. "Trish and Nathan seem much happier than they did."

Diane nodded, "Yes, it usually doesn't end well if two guys try to date the same lady. The way Trish and Nathan did it was how it should be done. Nathan and Trish took their time and dated until they were both sure that they wanted to get married. Once they were positive that they wanted to live together forever, then they got married."

I tilted my head mischievously, "I wonder if they had the baby talk yet." Any mention of babies always made Trish turn red as a tomato, although I couldn't figure out why. I hadn't brought up the topic since that one time.

Diane burst out laughing, she obviously found my comment hilarious, "I have no idea, but I kind of doubt it at this stage. If we return in a couple of years, I am pretty sure that they will have had the baby talk by then. Babies are a big commitment and a lot of responsibility. They take a lot of time to care for and grow slowly. I don't think Trish is quite ready for that much work just yet."

This touched on a subject that had been slightly nagging me. I grinned as I teased Diane, "Am I a lot of work?" I remembered her roundabout way of gathering information, hopefully it would work for me just as well without tipping her off.

Diane chuckled, "Not really, you are well behaved and have a lot of training so I don't really have to worry."

I smiled widely trying to hide my nerves, "Am I a big commitment?"

I tried to keep my voice light and teasing, but even I could hear the slight waver in it. I knew that Diane would have heard it too. She grinned at me, "Any child is a big commitment. You make things easy for me though."

I was glad to hear that and smiled in relief. I looked down at my lap. I just had to know something, but I had never felt so nervous asking her a question before. I spoke softly, "Would it be easier without me along?"

It was out in the open now. I held my breath. I knew that a child would slow down any group, let alone one traveler. It was not a question if the sky was going to come crashing down, but when and how hard.

Diane considered it for a moment as my palms got sweaty with nerves. She tilted her head as she looked right at me. Her shimmering blue eyes were serious, but soft, "It depends how you define easy. Would the physical journey go quicker? Yes, but not much faster. But let me ask you this, when you were alone in the house, did you enjoy it?"