Chapter 28 ~ Call Me E

Lucas’s POV

We head down the streets, just walking along. I’m not sure if we’re going to stay in D.C for a while or if we’ll pass straight through.

So Magna, Spence and I are just talking about stuff and chilling when a sudden gunshot sounds out. I go to cover Magna and Spencer covers his head but no more gunshots come.

“Um Lucas? You’re gonna want to see this.” I hear Spencer say shakily.

I step away from Magna and we both look to what Spencer told us to look at.

It’s a guy on a little side hill. He looks about fifteen; he’s dressed in black skinny jeans, a black t-shirt and black sunglasses. Oh and guess what colour his hair that’s combed into a fringe is? If you said black you’re wrong. It’s actually dark brown; nah I’m only joking, it is black unsurprisingly.

Before I go to ask him whom the hell he is and why he shot at us Magna has marched forward and stood in front of the boy. Then, she slaps him. Spencer looks on wide-eyed as we watch Magna.

We can’t hear them but I have a very good idea of what Magna’s saying to him, and all the while he’s looking very calm.

I see him murmur a reply, obviously not fazed by Magna’s angry mode. She motions our way and the boy looks at us. He says something to her and they walk down to us.

“Sorry y’all, I thought you were someone else.” He shrugs and tucks his gun into his pants. I take it from his accent he’s a local. As I go to introduce Spencer and myself, Spence is holding out his hand.

“No worries mate, we all make mistakes. I’m Spencer and this is Lucas.” The guy takes Spencer’s hand and nods at me. I nod back, going to stand just next to Magna. The three of them walk to me and I take the boy in.

He seems strong; he’s tall and has a sense of mystery and deception to him.

“The name’s Ethan, but call me E.”

 He takes one of my packs and starts walking with us.

“So do y’all have a place to crash?” He drawls.

“No, Lucas didn’t know if we should stay in D.C or carry on.” Magna tells him. E turns to me and looks at me with a different stare, a stare of respect. I look ahead and act like it doesn’t faze me. It doesn’t. He looks back at Magna with a smile on his face.

“Well, y’all have to stay with me then.”

Mika’s POV

Juliette has come in a few times since I found out it was Juliette. She’s never talked to me; actually she’s been ignoring me. The only reason she’d come in was to write some things down on a piece of paper and to take me to get some new clothes and some pyjamas. She’s acting as if we’ve had an argument and I really upset her feelings. But we haven’t fought and if anyone’s feelings should be hurting it’s mine! I’m the one who was kidnapped and taken here, and I also found out that someone I thought was my friend – okay not friend, maybe an unthreatening colleague, was sleeping with the enemy the whole time! 

Right now I’m just lying on my bed in my pyjamas, a purple singlet and grey shorts. I’m reading a book on the tablet. I don’t know what book it is about but it passes the time.

And then the door opens. I don’t look up from my book; it’s probably just another food delivery. Until two words freeze me from the inside out.

“Hey Meek.”

I know the voice, but it’s impossible. Only one person calls me Meek, but it’s impossible. As I slowly turn my head my fear is suddenly real. Standing in front of me is my past, a reminder of a time long gone. In front of me stands,

“Drey?”

E’s POV

So I picked up two guys and Maggie. I haven’t seen Maggie since I was 10; I’m now 16.

Maggie was my nanny for as long as I can remember. Yes I did have a nanny; I come from a fairly wealthy family.

Anyway, that’s enough of my past. I’ve got to show these folks where I live, and where they’ll be living for a while.

Magna’s POV

As I watch Ethan walking along, looking thoughtful, I can’t help but feel a sense of pride. The little boy I had watched grow and become a person, the little boy I lost is now a young adult and a very tall, handsome one at that.

Lucas and Spencer are talking to Ethan, asking him about something, I’m not really paying attention, I’m just off in my own little world; that is until Spencer interrupts me.

“What was he like Magna?” I look over to his little eager face.

“Excuse me?” I smile.

“E. What was he like when he was younger?” Ah, so Ethan told them I was his nanny. I smile up at Ethan when I reply.

“When Ethan was really little he was a little terror, he was loud and liked throwing things. But when he got older he would become quitter and did a lot of reading. There was this one spot he would always go to to read and be alone.” Ethan shakes his head, smiling.

“I remember that place. And please Maggie; call me E. I don’t like Ethan.”

“Why not? Your name is Ethan, therefore I shall call you Ethan.” Ethan goes to reply but Lucas stops him.

“You live here?” I can hear the shock in his voice and I can only see in my mind’s eye what his facial expression is.

“I do.” Ethan smirks, and then I look down the street and see what Lucas was shocked about. In front of us is The White House. Ethan’s house.