Chapter 11 ~ How Did I Get A Paper Cut From My Dagger?

“That was really good Lucas.” Spencer says after putting down his cutlery.

“Yeah, I had no idea you could cook.” I say, wiping the edges of my mouth with a napkin. Napkins are very rare so when we found them in the cupboard we all started jumping up and down with excitement, well Spencer and I did, Juliette shook her head unimpressed and went to lay the table, but I swear I saw a tiny smile, and Lucas, Lucas was smiling one of his massive, heart stopping smiles. I mean it doesn’t stop my heart, but for other girls it would. Of course it doesn’t stop my heart, why would it?

“I can cook.” He winks at me, ooh, so he’s cocky as well. Two can play that game mister.

“Evidently.” I look down at my food, maybe no game playing tonight. But soon.

Lucas smiles again and gets up to clear his plate. I get up too and as we walk, I’m so concentrated on his face that I don’t watch my feet. Of course, I trip over something, and my plate goes flying. I land on the floor, hands splayed out and head up. My knees hit the edge of the table and I just lay there, on the floor.

I feel hands pick me up from the waist and sit me up. It’s Lucas. I look up and glare at the thing I tripped over. Juliette’s foot. Lucas follows my gaze and figures out what I tripped over.

“What was that for?” Lucas half yells at her. Juliette shrugs.

“It wasn’t on purpose.” She says blatantly in her tinny voice.

“Cut the crap Juliette.” Go Lucas! Wait, I shouldn’t encourage swearing. Oh well.

“You want me to cut the crap? Me? What about you and her? Why don’t you just make out already and be done with it? I’m sick of watching you two make lovey dovey eyes at each other, it’s enough to make someone throw up!” She yells, looking down at Lucas and I in pure anger.

“I find it sweet.” Spencer whispers from the kitchen doorway, as I look at him I see that he caught my plate. Nice one kiddo.

“What are you talking about both of you? We don’t do anything of the sort.” Lucas tries to lie, but we all know it’s not true.

“Stop it Lucas.” Juliette whispers, hurt in her voice.

“Stop what?” Lucas looks at me, asking if I can stand up. I nod and he helps me up. Once we’re up he let’s go of me and goes to stand in front of Juliette. I walk backwards into the wall where Spencer is. Spencer puts his hand on my shoulder, which I gratefully place mine over.

“Pretending like you don’t know.” Juliette’s avoiding eye contact. Lucas stares at her bowed head. He puts his thumb under her chin and lifts up her head, so she’s looking him in the eye.

“What don’t I know Juliette? Tell me.” He whispers to her. She leans in and Lucas suddenly knows what he didn’t before. He drops his hand and steps back shocked. I knew it. I did, I did I tell you! A tear slides down Juliette’ cheek and she slowly looks away and walks down the hallway. Lucas goes to go after but Spencer reaches out his free hand and stops him. Lucas looks back at Spencer. He looks scared and disappointed. Spencer shakes his head and drops his hand. Lucas looks back to the spot Juliette was and turns back to us with sad eyes.

“She liked me.” He whispers, unbelieving.

“She loved you.” Spencer says sadly, like we’ve lost someone. I think in a different way we have.

“Loved me?” He looks at me sadly, such big eyes. It hurts my heart; I can’t imagine what it’s like for him. This must be fixed.

“You’re just so good looking, every girl in your presence falls in love with you.” I joke, but it comes out all wrong.

“Do you love Lucas, Mika?” Spencer asks innocently. I keep my eyes on Lucas when I answer.

“It takes a lot more than a pretty face to make me fall in love.” I give Lucas a small but genuine smile. Lucas smiles sadly at me before turning and waking to his room. I look at Spencer who looks sadly after Lucas. He has a tear threatening to spill. I wipe it away and he looks down at me. Did I mention he’s really tall?

“Let’s clear the table then go to bed.” I say, he nods his head and walks to the dinner table. I take a moment to join him. What just happened then felt, uncomfortable. For everyone but for me especially, I’ve only known these peoples for a few days, watching one love for the other being rejected. I felt like I wasn’t supposed to be there, and worse, the whole thing started because of me.

“Mika?” Spencer asks, a bunch of plates in his hand. I smile at him and go take the plates out of his hand.

“I’ll wash these up.” I go into the kitchen and pull out the washing cloth. That’s when I see it.

“My dagger.” I whisper to myself. It’s the one I pulled out on Lucas the first time I met him. What? I have more than one you know. I take it out of the cupboard and twirl it around in my fingers. I feel something quickly slice my finger. It doesn’t hurt; it’s just a paper cut. Wait, how did I get a paper cut from my dagger, especially when I was nowhere near the blade. I look closer at the handle; in the guard I see a corner of paper poking out. This dagger isn’t that big, it couldn’t fit a full piece of paper in the handle. I use my fingernails to pull at the corner and sure enough the corner turns out to be a folded A4 piece of paper. How did that het in there? I unfold the piece of paper and moments after I’ve comprehended what’s on the paper, I drop it and the dagger. I run out of the kitchen, past a confused looking Spencer and down the hallway. I can’t stay here.

Spencer’s POV

I hear something drop and then Mika comes running out. What’s going on? I go after her but something stops me. In the corner of my eye I see a glare of light coming from the floor of the kitchen. I look to see what it was a find a dagger and a piece of paper thrown on the floor. My feet take me towards it. When I reach down I pick up the piece of paper first, then I stand up and lean against the kitchen bench. I read the paper. It’s some kind of information sheet; I’m reading from the bottom up so I don’t who it is yet. Jesus, this person has had a crappy life, their father died when they turned one; their mother, who was a respected woman in the town got into drugs and remarried an alcoholic, who happened to be the mayor. Then this person was caught kissing a Robo follower and was caught in an arranged marriage to the mayors nephew.

I read up the page and go into shock. This person, the one with a crappy life, the one who kissed a Robo follower, I know who they are.

It’s Mika. This whole sheet of paper is about her.

I slam the paper facing down onto the bench and take a minute to compose myself. That’s when I see a scribbled note on the back of the paper. It says:

Who is she and what is her relation to the Queen?

I recognise that handwriting, it’s Lucas’s. What’s he doing with an information sheet on Mika? And what does he mean by her relation to the Queen?

Hey! So this is my first author’s note!

Just want to say thanks to everyone who has read it and continues to read it! Sorry if the updates are taking ages but it holidays now so they should come a bit quicker!

So yeah, lots more is going to happen with this story, so please keep reading!

Thanks! Teagan xx

P.S. Who’s your favourite character so far?