Great Expectations

Start from the beginning

“You may have learnt the duties , but you haven’t learnt how to sink into character.  Aren’t you sensible enough to understand that you’re not supposed to get too friendly with any member of the royal  family?” He remarked and stiffened his chest while George sighed.

“I don’t see any harm in talking to the royal family especially if one strikes a conversation first,” George replied and felt that Mr. Hawkins was simply over reacting.

“If one does strike a conversation then it’s your duty to make it brief, maintain your distance from the princess , George. I’m aware you’ve known each other since you both were little, but don’t forget who you are, you’re a stable boy,” he warned him and raised his collar.

“And may I know where this conversation is heading?” George retorted in a soft tone and stared at him. Mr. Hawkins stared back and narrowed his eyes before letting out a deep sigh.

“Pray everything goes well this time, I want to see the princess find her match,” He whispered and smiled at George before walking past him. George flinched his temples and picked up a silver spoon. The footman’s remark had upset him. Watching his reflection in the spoon, he shifted his gaze over the royal family who were seated in the parlour, quietly anticipating the arrival of their guests. He noticed the boredom on Marine’s face as she sat there lost in thoughts.

Far away in a land of mountains equally serene as Wales, Prince Eric of Scotland was welcomed by his people and family with great pompous. Unlike Wales, Scotland was far more prosperous and the people there lived in merry, it was the only kingdom amongst all that had never seen the shadows of misfortune, thanks to the Blackwoods. Lord Edgar however was not as one would expect a ruler of a merry city to be. He was far from being the carefree, sensitive and understanding Lord that one would think he ought to be, for he was more of a strict and a disciplinary administrator who never took no for an answer and despised his enemies bitterly.

The castle doors had been opened as usual to let the people of Scotland join in the celebration, and Eric hated it.“Oh no! Not again…” He slapped his forehead and ducked inside the car while his assistant, Jeffrey glared at the people waiting to cheer the prince at the entrance.

“I wonder how they contemplate to celebrate when you come back with your certificate, seems like the people of Scotland merely need an opportunity to celebrate lavishly,” Jeffrey chuckled and turned to face him when Eric hastily got out of the moving car.

“And that’s what makes me mad,” Eric quoted and reached for one of the horsemen accompanying the steam car on either sides.

“Prince Eric, have you lost your mind?”  Jeffrey widened his eyes in bewilderment and yelled.

“Well, at this rate I’ll surely lose it someday the way father abuses the treasure,”  Eric frowned and climbed the horse. Replacing the royal horseman, he borrowed his feather' hat along with the blue cape and breezed forward like the strong southern wind.

Striding along the red brick pathway, he entered the castle gates and lowered his head while the crowd looked ahead at the black royal steam car parading with the horsemen at a distance. Galloping through the street and by lanes, Eric climbed up the hill and entered the royal backyard of the castle. Standing tall and elegant, the magnificent castle looked as perfect as a fairytale illustration with the backdrop of the blue snow clad mountains.  The horse he rode was breathing heavily, it left deep hoof prints in the snow as it neighed and suddenly came to a standstill when the guards at the back door of the castle stopped them.

“Aren’t you aware that horsemen are supposed to stay out of the castle's yard,”  one of the guards stated and shook his rifle.

Eric remained silent and raised his head, his fiery gaze fell on the guard’s boots and then on him. “I presume your buckle has come off young man,”  he broke his silence and got down.