Never doubt a ballerina's words.

Chapter 1

Diana clinged to his broad shoulders and began breathing heavily while his gaze drifted over her soft bare arms. Catching her by the waist, Parker pulled her up on her toes and made her face him. Diana trembled with his touch as he brought his lips closer to hers and whispered, “You don’t know how long I’ve waited for this…” Princess Marine murmurred and blushed as usual when she read her favourite part of the novel she held close to her heart.

The leather binding had wrinkled along with the pages that had soiled and developed dog ears owing to her obsession with the novel. The Baron, was one of Marine’s priced positions when it came to reading romance novels. Being the bookworm that everyone knew, she had a wide collection of books at home, The Baron & His Lady being her favourite, she managed to carry it wherever she went. The novel was her window to feelings that she longed for in reality. Still being single at twenty-five and having no prior stint in romance, Marine always turned to her novel and wondered what being in love really felt like.

Nevertheless it didn’t connote that she was a naïve young lady who only fantasized about love. Apart from novels, she had a wide collection of books ranging from all subjects in her private library. Unlike other ladies of her stature, she had a keen interest in reading and studying the discoveries and inventions in the world. No wonder she could talk confidently before a group of intellects on any subject be it politics or science. However this was one of the qualities in her that disappointed her mother terribly since she often stated that her daughter’s bold comments on subjects that were un-feminine, were the root cause of her not finding a match.

Likewise the era in which Princess Marine lived was the late 1890’s, when women liberation was still a distant dream. This was an era where women struggled to match up with men in all fields. Though the efforts weren’t appreciated and termed derogatory by the opposite sex, strong headed women like Princess Marine strived to follow their dreams and set examples for others who coyly spent their lives knitting and nurturing children at home.

Seated elegantly at the backseat of the hired steam driven carriage, she closed the novel and drifted her eyes over the silhouette of Logwood University of London, the only medical institute in United Kingdom which had reluctantly opened its gates for women’s higher education. It wouldn’t seem surprising if you all were to find out that Marine was the only lady along with other three women who had enrolled in the university for pursuing higher studies. This year was a year of triumph for our princess of Wales, as she was on the verge of completing her graduation as a certified psychiatrist  and was months away from receiving her certificate.

Stepping out the carriage with the assistance of the driver, she slipped the novel in her satchel and proceeded towards the entrance of the grand university. Smoothening out the wrinkles over her ruffled sleeves that closed near her wrist, she adjusted her high collar and strutted down the hall with her head held high. Marine always felt confident in her Shirtwaist, since it looked a lot like a men’s shirt that was tight at the waist. Her A-line skirt fit close to her waist and flared above the ankle, giving her a formal yet feminine look. This was the current fashion in Paris for working women, and Marine loved it since it went pretty well with her personality, not to mention the elegant walking cane that she always carried when in the university.

 As Marine walked excitedly with thoughts of returning to Wales for her winter break, she failed to see the man who detested her, approaching from the opposite direction. It wasn’t long before she bumped into the young man and dropped her satchel with a start. His familiar grunt grabbed her attention as she regained her composure. Knowing who exactly he was, she avoided meeting his gaze and stared at the books that were spread across the floor. True to his nature, Prince Eric ignored her and without caring a damn to apologies, walked past her with heavy footsteps.  Likewise, Marine drew in a deep breath and calmly bent down to pickup her book when one of her batchmate, offered to help.