Great Expectations

Chapter 4

Marine stood at the balcony overlooking the grand hall, the interior was exuberantly lit with chandeliers, candles and flowers for the royal guests from Guernsey . “When was the last time this hall was filled with guests and music?” She sighed as her gaze surveyed the paintings of dancing people.

“The time when, princess Emma, came off marriageable age. Her ladyship often held ballroom parties here, even though your sister was invited to many during the season,” Eliza said and stood behind her.

“I remember…I never knew the parties that bored me back when I was twelve would be the elements of the grand hall that I would miss today,” Marine said and drifted to the time when she would sit in a corner with a book and sigh at all the young ladies and gentlemen dancing across the grand hall. 

“Pardon me for being too bold, princess, but I believe you’ve never experienced one yourself, not that you don’t want to, but ever since Princess Emma ran away, nobody seems too invite you,” Eliza stated and paused after receiving Marine’s piercing gaze.

“Forgive me Princess, I think I’ve said far too much,” Eliza hurriedly apologies and lowered her gaze.

“Apology accepted, my sister is not to be blamed for…my misfortune as mamma would like to quote," she paused and descended the flight of stairs.  “I’ve grown out the age of giggling girls, I’m too old for finding a match, besides the world is far from accepting bold women who can compete with the stronger sex,” Marine explained and crossed the grand hall before entering the parlour.

“Don’t be so harsh on yourself, princess. You’re not too old to find a match, I’m sure this time Wales will witness a royal wedding,” Eliza assured her confidently as she followed her into the parlour when all of a sudden George appeared from nowhere holding a tray of chocolates and startled them.

“Careful, George or you would have ruined the Princess’s dress!” Eliza scolded him and frowned while he humbly apologised. He cautiously noticed the princess who looked ravishing in her maroon fish tail gown. Her thin necklace complemented her smooth fair skin as she adjusted her shawl.

Regaining her composure, she looked at him and was amused to see him dressed smartly in a butler’s attire with is hair slicked behind.  “Oh my, you’ve been changing roles quite frequently I suppose, should I be surprised if I were to ever see you in Eliza’s uniform?”  she teased and let out a soft laugh while Mr. Hawkins noticed them from a distance and frowned.

“If it were to please you I wouldn’t mind dressing up in one,” He winked and shifted his gaze on Eliza who wasn’t too pleased with his reply. “I’m not leaving the princess's service, so you can as well pass the idea of getting into my shoes,” Eliza remarked and wrinkled her nose when Mr. Hawkins approached and interrupted them.

“Pardon me princess, I wasn’t intending to cause any disturbance in the parlour by appointing him to serve our guests this evening, but if he is a nuisance then I might as well send him back to the stable,” Mr. Hawkins suggested and stared at George from the corner of his eyes.

“Not at all Hawkins, in fact I quite liked the idea of him helping you serve our guests this evening,” Marine smiled and looked at George.

“Very well princess,” Mr. Hawkins bowed and immediately grabbed George’s arm, “Now if you remember I’ve got lots to teach you before our guests arrive,” He looked at George angrily and whisked him away.

“But Mr. Hawkins, I’ve learnt all that you’ve taught me about etiquettes in serving, I won’t let you down,” George explained and wondered why Hawkins was in such a grumpy mood that evening.