Chapter 10

It's been two weeks. Tonight we celebrated Josh's birthday. I didn't even attend.I'm not sure I even feel an ounce sorry for it.

I'm driving. Driving towards the rock climbing entrance of the great canyon. I start preparing my gear. It's night time but since is summer there's still signs of the sun threatening to set. Once everything is ready I drop and start climbing. A warm summer breeze hits my face and I'm in my happy place. New York might be where I was born but Colorado is my home.

I think about everything that's happened this past two weeks. I think about Dior's advice and finally I think about Rebel. How she came into my life and turned it upside down. How she made my family fall in love with her in a span of an hour. How beautiful she was and how I fell in love with her two weeks ago the moment she sat on my table.

How can someone have some much of an impact in your life without realizing it?

Her parents were right about naming her Rebel. She sure as hell started a rebellion inside me. I've never doubted my feelings towards anyone. I've dated boys. Plenty of times but none made me feel alive like I do when I'm around her. I spent so long thinking it was just a phase that it'll go away. But now that I'm here dangling in a cliff of ultimate death, being held by a wire and everything in life is making sense. I stop midway to look at the sunset.

I admire all it's beauty. Then I feel the tears, the hot salty tears mixing with my sweat, make up, and perfume. Why am I allowing to let myself cry over somebody hardly knew? Someone I met only two weeks ago. Is this how love works? All the smiles, the talks, the midnight movies, the jealousy, the pain, the tears, the loneliness. I don't understand how someone can impact my life this way. She could of been here a hundred times and I just noticed her. 

HER. Her strawberry cent, I was not much of a strawberry fan until i saw her. To me she was pure perfection, something  out of a dream... maybe this is a dream. Maybe just maybe I'll wake up and be on my bed and Dior will be snoring next to me, Ashlee on her sleeping bag watching TV and Chanel on her phone.

The sun paints the sky, with pinks and oranges. This is nothing like a sunset in New York or even Maryland. Here the sun finds concealment between the mountains, it finds comfort against each rock. Until it's comfortable enough to go into a deep slumber to wake up before the world is awake and do it all over again.

Sometimes I wish I was the sun.

I close my eyes and feel the warm summer breeze hitting my face. That's when I heard the familiar voice in the distance.

"Dani! Dani! Where are you?" She calls through the rocks.

I can't hide any longer.

"Down here Rebel!"

She finds me and a look of relieve washes through her face.
"Oh thank goodness. I thought you were mad at me."

"Hold on let me climb up," it took me exactly 20 minutes to make it back up.

"I'm not mad at you Rebel," I say finally catching my breath.

I've never climbed so fast I'm my life.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have sat with your family it's just... I wanted to impress them. To impress you," she's looking at me know.
I remain silent. Not sure of what to say.

"I thought it was just a phase. I thought that I was just confused-" she trails on.

I know exactly what you mean.

"I've never felt this way before not with anyone. Not even with a boy," she looks at me and all I can do is nod.

"When I first met you I thought you were another student that works in a resort. A kid with just a summer job and then you show me your world and your family welcomed me with open arms. My parents saved for a long time to come to this resort. They got married here. They wanted to show us the place they cherish the most-" she pauses.

"I understand why now," she looks at me again.

"My parents met here too, this is where they had their first date, where they spend every anniversary together. Although they married in France," I tell her.

"This place always meant the world to me and my siblings. I've had the opportunity to meet so many people-" I pause I can't go on.

"But you never fell for someone in this place," she's holding my hand now. "I fell in love with you when I saw you two weeks ago while you were eating your god forsaken eggs with ketchup." She laughs," you are so much different than anyone I've ever met."
"But this doesn't feel right. I mean we're both girls shouldn't we be falling in love with the male species?"

"Maybe or maybe not," she's looking in the distant. The pinks and oranges are fading away leaving us in the dark blue sky.

"We don't have a say on who we fall in love with," she says after a while. "And you Diana Elizabeth are the one my heart chose."

"My heart chose you too Rebel."

My heart chose you.