Chapter 6

The stove is on fire. I'm telling you right now. I did not do it!

Actually I wasn't even in the kitchen when it happened I was in the changing room when I heard the smoke alarms. I can hear chef José cursing in Spanish.

"Who forgot to turn the stove off?" Chef shouts.
Everyone is silent once I get there.

"Do you people know how dangerous it is to do leave the stove on unattended. Seriously we could set the whole place on fire!" Chef is hysterical now. All the workers are looking at each other... Then all eyes fall on me.
"Dani! The day you come on time some shit happens!" Chef finally jokes. Everyone laughs and they seem alright.

The fire is tamed but we have one less stove to cook at. Luckily we have three more. I see Matthew in his uniform. He's wearing all black and a black apron, with his hair tied in a man bun. I never noticed how grown up he's gotten.

'Are you ready?" 

"Yeah I guess, I just have to clean tables right?" He seem nervous.

"Yup and sometimes help hand out food. Don't worry you'll do great," I mean that, he's a very hard worker all of us are. Out of all of us him and Mia lack the confidence. But they are so talented. Matt has the most beautiful singing voice out of all of us. Mia is so organize she plans all of our parents lavish parties.

Speaking of Mia I didn't see her today at the pool where she was supposed to be working. I can't bother with that now. I gotta get ready bake cakes.

"Dani! Where are you? " chef shouts from the kitchen. He's very vocal.

"I'm here chef," I tell him once I'm in the kitchen.

"Alright kiddo me and you are going to make creme brulee " chef says.
"Tonight is French night. To dedicate to your mother." Chef winks.

Traditionally we make French, Puerto Rican and Italian pastries on the sencond night to welcome families and everyone staying in the resort to have a taste of our culture but since Josh is in charge this year. He wants to show the people our cultures in a different way.

My moms favorite pastries. I feel honored doing it for her. I want her to taste my success!

Chef shows me how to do it, then he let's me try to do one on my own which would be the one my family will eat. I'm so nervous. My sibilings are not exactly picky eaters but they don't exactly jump up and down when I have to make a new dessert. The first time I made scones it didn't turn out right. The twins were on the stage of losing their baby teeth... And let's just say they didn't have to suffer for too long when it came to losing their front teeth. They were so mad they gave their teeth for christmas.

"Chef I made it!" I shout through the angry waiter who was complaining about his guest that kept returning his half eaten food and demanded a refund each time.

"Let me try," he takes a bite and his eyes go wide.

Well shit there goes chef's teeth.

"It's incredible!" He exclaims.
"Really?" I ask trying to see if his front teeth are missing.

"Yes. I want you to do two more, your parents are going to be proud!"

That's a relief.

"You got it chef!" And I start getting ready to do two more. 

I made most of the desserts. Chef Jose requests I make a few more for the staff. Everyone loves them, even Juan stops washing dishes to try some though it was a bad mistake since there's so many dishes. We had a full house tonight, locals came which happens almost every opening. While everyone eats I start washing dishes for Juan so he takes a break. Matt walks up to me.

"No missing teeth! Good job sis," he says jokingly.
I splash some water at his direction and he laughs.
"Hey, I wasn't the one that destroyed my teeth when I was 9." He half hugs me and I can tell he was tired.

"How was your first day?"

"Excellent!"

"You seem happy"

"I met a girl"

"Oh yeah?"

"Her name is Rebel"

I broke a couple plates that night.