015

Serena's POV

I woke with a vigorous start. I sat up quickly, leaning on my elbows, as my heart pounding intensely. I must have been having a nightmare... but I didn't remember what...
I looked over my shoulder, to see Jordan sleeping beside me. I reached over to wake him, but decided against it last second. He has done so much for me, so I will let him rest.
I smiled slightly, slowly climbing out of the bed, making sure I didn't wake him.
I walked out of the room, and into the living room/kitchen. I began to open cupboards, checking for any ingredients he might have for pancakes.
I should do something for him, even if it is as small of a deed as making breakfast.
Once I rounded up all the ingredients, I began cooking.
I broke some eggs, mixed some flour, and did everything necessary with the ingredients to make the batter. Once it was done and mixed, I poured it onto the sizzling frying pan.
About 15 later, I had a plate stacked with fresh pancakes.
I heard movement in Jordan's room, and I knew he was finally awake. I smiled, bringing the pancakes to the small dining table he had, and topping them with syrup.
"Morning." I said once he entered the room. He looked at the pancakes, and back at me, his tired eyes not believing it.
"Woah, Serena...you didn't have to." He began to speak, clearly shocked. I shrugged.
"But I wanted to." I told him, grinning. "Come try them."
He didn't hesitate to move towards the pancakes. He took a seat at the table, and I put a clean plate along with a fork and knife down in front of him. I did the same for myself, before sitting down across from him.
He picked up a pancake from the stack with his fork, setting it down on his plate. He cut a piece off, before eating it. He nodded in satisfaction, looking at me.
"This is the best pancake I've ever had." I told me, and I smiled. I already knew I made the best pancakes, I learned from the best.
"Thanks, my mom taught me." I mumbled, before I remembered that their funeral was today. I sighed, suddenly not hungry enough to have pancakes. No matter how delicious they were.
He noticed my change in tone, and set his utensils down.
"Serena... I know it's hard." Jordan said softly, but I shook my head.
"No. Don't worry about me. I'm fine." I reassured, but by the looks of it, he wasn't believing me. Neither would I if his parents just died and he said he was fine.
I looked like an idiot.
"It's okay not to be fine. I know you're a hybrid, and I know you have this huge responsibility and a lot of power... But it's okay to push that all aside. The great Serena Michelson doesn't always have to be so great. She can be sad too. She can have off days. She can break." He stated, making a very clear point. "But it doesn't mean she'll be broken forever."
I felt a tear fall down my cheek, and I hadn't even noticed I was crying. I stood up, picking up the plate which had an untouched pancake on it. I set it down on the counter, sighing deeply.
"I should get ready..." I muttered, my voice shaky. "The ceremony starts soon." I added, before walking out of the kitchen and into the hall. I turned into Jordan's room, shutting the door before leaning against it and beginning to sob. I had lost everything I had, in such a short time. Just under two days ago I was in my room, discussing my warning signs with my mother. Now she's dead.
It's funny how quickly you're life can drastically change. Wether it be in a good or bad. Change is bound to happen. And I didn't like change. Change was the reason I got these stupid markings in the first place. Change was the reason I found my parents murdered on the floor of my own bedroom.
But...change was also the reason I met Jordan Parrish. My only friend, and perhaps my best friend.
I heard a light tap on the door, and I quickly wiped my tears.
"I'm almost ready!" I told him, lying.
"Serena...I can hear you crying from the living room." He said sympathetically.
I opened the door just a crack, so I can see him the slightest bit. He gave me a soft smile. And I returned it, before opening the door completely.
"I need a shower." I told him, changing the subject. He laughed, and nodded.
"Right, uh...the bathrooms there. Towels are under the sink." He told me. I nodded, before exiting his room slowly and walking to the bathroom. I entered the small room, before closing the door behind me and locking it. A habit when your dad thinks he can walk into every room without knocking.
I turned the shower head on, slowly slipping my clothes off. I stepped into the bathtub, letting the water run over my blonde hair. I shut my eyes, enjoying the feeling of warmth against my face.
After a round of shampoo and conditioner, I opened my eyes to see the water underneath me blood red. I looked at the water from the shower head, but it was completely clear.
"What the..." I whispered, not being able to see my feet through the thick water. I looked up again, to see the walls of the shower were suddenly covered in the same red blood too.
I covered my mouth, holding in a scream. Thats when I noticed that the blood on the wall, was a familiar design.
Three swirls that meet in the centre.
Like the marking on my neck...
I stopped the water, quickly pulling the shower curtains aside to reveal someone standing there.
It was the man I saw in the mirror at the mall.
That's when I stopped holding in my fear, and I screamed.