Chapter Twenty-Six

Start from the beginning

"How could it be worse?"

"She could come in and see you like this." Blake shuffles so that his hand slide over my bare thigh, over my hip, and then onto my stomach. I yank the dress down as I move into a sitting position.

"Okay, fair point, Mr. Rivers."

"I like this view better, though." Blake tugs on my top so that it springs back up.

I manage to tug the material down and scooch away from Blake's reach. I grab the bowl of yogurt and pass it to him.

"Enjoy." I smile.

Blake takes the bowl from my hand and pops a blueberry into his mouth. I lean across and grab my own bowl. I quickly shovel the yogurt and fruit into my mouth to avoid the awkward feeling overcoming me.

"That reminds me, I rinsed your clothes last night. They're not the cleanest, but they're not sandy," he explains.

"What? How did I not know this?" I place the almost empty bowl on the side table and get up. I dash into the bathroom and find my clothes hanging over the bathtub. Without a pause, I strip out of his shirt and redress in my own clothing.

They feel stiff and slightly uncomfortable, but I'm happy to be in my own clothing again.

"I'm off," I say.

"Why are you leaving? You could stay." Blake puts the bowl on the side table, then shuffles closer to me.

"I just, I can't," My eyes flicker to the place the cot used to be. "And then there's your mother, and the fact this isn't a good house to raise a growing child."

"I agree." He nods. "We're growing out of this space and it's too painful to be here. I think about him every second of the passing day, and I think about you, and this place, especially when you fell. The only thing that makes this place bearable is the memories of us."

I sniffle and nod my head, "Those were good memories."

"We'll make more memories, hopefully in a new house that has no stairs in it," he comments.

"And there's that other thing." I nervously bite my lip. "Ivan's ashes. What do you want me to do with them?"

"Right." He frowns.

I take a step towards Blake, which ends with him tugging me into his lap. I wrap my arm around his neck and he buries his face into my chest. He holds me tightly, just as I squeeze him back.

"Is there a special place you want to put them?"

"How about a park?" he offers.

"Sure." I nod. "We could look at some parks, see what's available."

"How about we get in the car and drive somewhere?" asks Blake. "See where the world takes us and then go from there."

"Is this the part where you kidnap me?" I chuckle.

"If I say yes, will you change your mind?"

"Change my mind? I thought I had no option in being kidnapped?" I inquire.

"That's me giving you the illusion you get an opinion." He winks.

"Hey." I poke his ribs.

One of Blake's arm wraps around my waist to hold me in place and he tries to tickle me. I easily break free from his grip and fall onto the floor. I groan as the pain moves through my elbow and down to my fingers.

"And this is the part where I leave and wait to be kidnapped."

Blake pouts but nods his head, "Okay."

"Goodbye." I wave.

"I'll see you soon." He smiles.

On the way out, I see London and Angela playing in the garden. I walk over to them and then crouch down to give her a hug.

"Goodbye, Lo." I smile.

She snuggles in and then runs back to her watering can.

"I'm sorry about earlier, I didn't realise you stayed over," she explains. "Otherwise, I'd have knocked on the door before walking in."

"Uh, it's okay." I try to shrug it off.

"And I'm happy to see you hanging around again," says Angela. "You make my son so happy, and he deserves that."

"Yeah," I agree.

London drops the watering can on the ground and it splashes down her pants. I bite my lip and wait for her to cry, but instead, she screams 'ahh' with excitement. Her little legs stomp, her arms shake, and then London's cheek go chubby from her wide grin.

"How about we change your clothes?" Angela asks London.

"Have fun."

"You're not coming swimming?" asks Blake.

I take a couple of steps back but it only ends with Blake chasing after me. I get part way across the grass until Blake's arms wrap around me. He throws me over his shoulder and starts running towards the pool. Blake takes a big run up and we go flying through the air until gravity's cruel arms rip us down.

Blake and I collide against the water. My stomach takes a knock against his shoulder, I wriggle through the water, clawing until I manage to resurface. I take a gasp of air and then shoot glares at Blake.

"My clothes!"

"They were already ruined to begin with . . ." He cheekily smiles.

"But they were dry and my only change of clothing," I say.

"Maybe you should keep a spare pair at mine then?" he cheekily retorts.

Shooting glares, I swim to the edge and open my arms for London to run into them. I pick her up, spin around and then slowly dip her into the water. London clings onto my arms until she warms up in the water. Once she's comfortable, London freely paddles around while I hold her.

Eventually, I pass her to Blake which seems to make her even happier.

"I'll go grab some towels," Angel excuses herself from us.

Blake puts London on his shoulders and then walks over to me. He wraps one arm around my waist, then gently leans down to kiss my cheek.

"Thanks for staying," he murmurs against the side of my cheek.

"Did I have a choice?" I tease.

"Uhh," he replies in a high-pitched tone. "Maybe?"

"I'll admit, I'm glad I could be here." I smile.

"You already know my opinion." He winks.

When I look at Blake, I see so many possibilities, just as I see all the mistakes I've made. Sometimes I wonder if I really am the right person for Blake because I've made so many mistakes in the past and I know that I'll hurt him in the future because that's life.

However, all aside, Blake makes me want to be a better person – better girlfriend – because he deserves someone just as special as him, if not, someone better.  

Do you think Ava and Blake should move somewhere else or stay put? Do you think they are ready for what's to come?