Hunger Games: Day One - The Bloodbath

Pod Pratchett's P.O.V:

I stand on my metal disk, in a couple of seconds I will be raised into the arena. My mind is flooding with thoughts; what the arena will be like, how many will die in the bloodbath, will the Capitol be happy with the amount, will my allies and I get anything good, will any of my allies die. What are my friends and family at home thinking, they will have to watch all this.

I jump in shock as the platform begins to rise upwards. In a matter of seconds I am on the surface. The sun is beating down on us. It shines brightly in the cloudless blue sky, if only this place was as welcoming as it looked. Ahead of me is the cornucopia, weapons are strewn randomly around it. Beyond that is a giant forrest of green trees. It streches all the way to the left as far as I can see. On the right is a wide river flowing into a lake from a waterfall high up a cliff. The forrest streches over to meet the waterfall and immediatly that's where i know I want to be. Behind me is a swamp, it stinks of rotten vegetation and I gag as the putrid odour infiltrates my sensative nostrils.

We have been standing for about three seconds when the platform next to me blows up. The avox standing there, that the President replaced Clayton with explodes and his guts and insides rain down on me. Some of his blood splatters across his face and I vomit but force myself to swallow the sick in my throat. We were all told of the President's plans and were warned that if any of us spoke of it our families would be killed. I take in the other tributes, trying to focus my mind elsewhere.To my left is Oasis, she is studying the forrest ahead of us, and moves her eyes to the waterfall and looks at me. I nod in agreement, she smiles and I look to the opposite side of what was briefly the avox. Perrie is standing, wiping herself of blood and cursing angrily. Further past Perrie are Dawn and Alexis, standing beside each other.

I glance over to Perrie and she catches my eyes, she winks and then smiles. She nudges her head sidewards and I see what she is trying to direct my vision to, a bow and quiver of arrows. Once the gong goes the two of us will be sprinting for the cornucopia and I can tell that's what she will be focusing on. The other three of our allies will run for cover in the forrest to the north of here and wait for us. Hopefully we will find them before anyone else does.

I glance at the faces of the others, some stare at the cornucopia, looking to see what to go for. Some, like Reina look way too excited. Others glance around nervously, looking for possible hiding spots. I focus on getting ready to sprint forwards, surely the minute us up by now.

GONG!

I lung off my platform and sprint towards the golden horn. I see Oasis running into the woods, once she has reached them she stands watching as Alexis and Dawn make their way over to her. The two of them grab items off the ground that are in their path as they run. They quickly reach the treeline and disappear from view. Perrie is close to me, running for the bow and arrows. I bend down as I run and grasp hold of a dagger and continue towards the cornucopia.

I hear a yell of pain and a heavy thud to the ground. Alicia from District Three is lying, slowly bleeding out on the ground. I reach the horn and all hell brakes loose as the others reach it too. The others here battle for the weapons and supplies they want. Reina beheads Ben with her axe and as his body and head both fall to the ground she sprints towards Perrie. I grab a bag from the ground and sling it over one shoulder. Perrie curses as Reina grabs a handful of arrows and snaps them in half.

'' Let's see you use this now.'' She mocks.

'' You stupid bitch!'' Screams Perrie angrily but shakes it off as Reina turns. She grabs a pack and the bow.

As we retreat from the cornucopia there are cries of pain and wails of terror as more bodies hit the ground. We reach the edge of the forrest and sprint without stopping for two hours, heading to the distant waterfall.

'' Guys!'' Shouts a voice from the trees above.

'' Dawn!'' I reply relied.

'' Yeah! We made it.'' She replies and the three girls climb from their spot high in the tree.

'' What did you guys get?'' Asks Alexis.

'' I got a dagger and a bag. I dunno what's in it yet though.'' I say.

'' I got a bag and a bow, no arrows though. Reina broke them.'' Says Perrie angrily.

'' Well I only got a loaf of bread and a small knife. So your find seems alot better now.'' Says Alexis.

'' I got some plastic and some rope.'' Says Dawn.

Oasis stays quiet, obviously guilty she got nothing.

'' Open the packs, let's see what you got.'' Says Alexis excitedly.

'' I have a sleeping bag, some beans, two empty water bottles, and some throwing knives. That's pretty good!'' I admit, proud of myself.

'' I have a sleeping bag too, a full water bottle, some water purification drops, some sandwhiches, bandages and painkillers.'' Says Perrie happily.

'' Well, I think we've done pretty good!'' I say and the others nod happily.

BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM!

'' So the fighting is finally over, I completly forgot about the cannons. How many was that?'' I ask.

'' I counted ten.'' Says Oasis.

'' Same.'' Adds Dawn.

We spend the rest of the day walking towards the waterfall, most of the journey is uphill and my feet are roaring with pain. By sunset we are all dead but we reach our destination. We are near the waterfall, the forrest continues right the way over to it so we are reasonably sheltered. We are on a high cliff and can see way down to the cornucopia where we can see a camp fire going. The careers have obviously set up camp there as usual.

We split a few sandwhiches between us and nibble on them, hoping they will last longer that way. The silence is soon interupted as the Capitol Seal appears in the sky and the anthem begins. When it ends, the faces of the dead appear in the sky. Two of the guys from One, three from Two, two of the young girls from Three, and the three guys from Four. The anthem plays again, the Seal appears and then the sky returns to blackness.

'' Oh my God! Five of the nine in the career group are dead. It's only Phoenix, Reina, Linus and Mia left.'' Says Dawn. '' There is only four of them left.''

'' The other alliance, with the four guys has been halfed. Only Bryce and Blue remain.'' Adds Oasis.

'' The three girls all survived. Misty, Odelia and Ayla.'' Says Alexis.

'' We are the biggest alliance left. With five we have a fighting chance at this!'' Says Perrie, laughing happily.

'' Do you think the Capitol will be happy with just ten deaths?'' I ask warily.

'' I hope so.'' Says Dawn.

'' Well then, let's give them something to talk about.'' Says Perrie and leans in to kiss me. I grin and lean in to her.